Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he guys,how much work would it be to swap gauges on a yammy
im looking to put the 05,06 R1 gauges on a 2002 R1

how much work am i lookin at

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
enrico vespa said:
If the connection pieces aren't the same, I can't imagine it being more than just splicing wires.

pretty much. i'm doing the same thing as we speak with a gsxr, putting 03 guages on a 98. as long as you get the connector for the guages you want to use, it's as simple as matching up the wires to where they need to go. just get yourself the wiring diagram for both bikes, and start making connections. just make sure the connections are nice and tight, alot of those sensors use a 5v reference, and any resistance from a weak connection might throw things off a bit.

·
ADAM FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
12,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mmmmm i know ablsolutly nothing about bike electronics or electronics in general,but if you guys say its easy

next question.....
anybody got a 05-06 R1 gauges

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
jesseunvoas said:
what about changinf from a crb to a late gsxr gauge cluster?
i guess it's possible as long as the guages have the same type of inputs as the bike has outputs.

there's ways around everything. i've put 636 guages on a cbr600f2. just takes some planning to get everything to work right.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
jesseunvoas said:
just the same sensors your saying?
Sort of. granted you're gonna need the same sensors, but different sensors can work different ways. some are 5v reference, some are 12v. some have a positive signal, some have a negative. hell, you start jumping up to automotive stuff, and there's class 2 data lines controlling everything.
then you have to consider speedo drives. if you pull gauges from a bike with an electronic output that drives off the front wheel, but the bike has an output driven off the countershaft, your speedo is bound to be off. if your bike has a cable driven speedo, then you have to figure out a way to turn that mechanical signal into an electonic signal. sometimes that's as easy as getting a signal generator from a bike that uses one, like the sv650 or something like that. sometimes you can mount a signal generator on the countershaft fairly easily. it all depends on the bike/ guage combo. putting guages from a fuel injected bike onto a carb'ed bike can have it's own headaches too.

the easiest way to figure it out is to sit down with the wiring diagrams for both bikes, and start matching up wires, till you have everything taken care of that you'll need. make a chart with two rows, and write down the color codes for your bike, and what they do, then find those wires on the gauge diagram, and write down the color codes for the same functions. once you have them all matched up, you should be able to fairly easily splice the new guages in. hope that makes sense. it's not really hard, but is definately time consuming.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
no prob. what you're trying to do shouldn't be hard at all. at least your going from a f.i. yamaha to another f.i. yamaha. never know, it's quite possible that the color codes may even be the same.

if you need any help with the swap, ill help with what i can from here.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
jesseunvoas said:
acually its a cbr f3 (carb) to f.i so i will have to find some guages that might work and go from there

sorry, i was still going by the initial post about the r1. i've seen f4i guages on several f2's/f3's. i think there's a how-to article floating around the internet somewhere. maybe cbrworld?

·
Ebay PosterChild
981 Posts
yeah they do have it but i like the look of the gsxr guages but i might just keep the stock guages for the next season and keep looking for if this can be done

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
jesseunvoas said:
yeah they do have it but i like the look of the gsxr guages but i might just keep the stock guages for the next season and keep looking for if this can be done

most gauges have the same inputs, it's just a matter of tuning them so that they read accurately. dropping a signal voltage is as easy as wiring a resistor inline. upping a signal voltage can be a bit more difficult. since your putting guages on a carbed bike, there's alot of things you won't have to deal with, like check engine, or f.i. lights. you'll pretty much just be using the speedo, tach, oil light, nuetral light, and coolant temp. that'd be fairly easy.

i believe they changed the speedo setup on later f3's so they have a electronic pickup that should run any guages you want to use, you just may have to wire in a speedo healer to get it to be accurate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, does anybody have some knowledge about gsxr 1000 k5 clock ?
Actualy i am looking for what pin connector feeds what gauge?
I know that this year 600 and 750 with same looking speedos have different pin meanings.....
thanks in advance.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Thread is almost 10 years old, nice to see the old names and all but this kind of thread bumping sucks.
Check the post dates next time, some members neg rep stuff like this. good luck. (I still might neg you lol)

Reactions: CK 187
1 - 20 of 23 Posts