Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
stunting is not a crime
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 srad 750 and im looking at gauges and I know about koso and trail tech but are there other ones on the market? I'm looking on eBay now and alot of them are in KPH and dont say anything about going in MPH. And hooking them im not too worried about that, I know Ill need the manual for wiring. Any info would be great.

·
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)
1,562 Posts
yeah, that thread is what I looked at when I was shopping.

I ended up going with a trail tech vapor stealth. Very happy with it. I also later added the idiot light surround.

Only thing of note, I got a universal kind of one, with the wheel magnet pick up, which works just fine. However, it does have a temp sensor that is supposed to be under the spark plug to read engine temp, but I have an oil boiler and the plugs are too deep down and tight to get it on. I just put it under some random bolt, so basically it tells me what the temp average is bewteen the air and that bolt lol. Only thing I found a problem with.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've heard a lot of negative things about the cheapo ebay gauge clusters. The directions are completely unintelligible to start with. Someone posted excerpts here a while ago trying to figure out how to switch it from metric to english- which was claimed by the seller to be possible but the procedure given to do it was so poorly translated they couldn't figure it out. I've heard of others having trouble getting the tachs to read properly. Even when they do work, the response rate- how often the gauge updates- is noticeably slower/laggier than typical. A OEM cluster might be 5hz (updates 5 times a second), where the knockoffs might only be 2 or 3.

Koso and Trailtech both have very good reputations. There's a handful of smaller manufactures like Moto-gadget and Acewell that make bike-specific units as well, although they're more expensive.

Your bike's service manual should give a pin-out for the stock cluster to help label the wires, to match them up with an aftermarket.

·
stunting is not a crime
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea from what i have been reading that the cheapo ones are no good and i have been looking at trailtech because the price, koso are nice but not wallet nice and i have alot of other to do with the bike

·
45 Posts
I just installed an ebay koso knock off, (my stock tack died). The good: looks great, speedo works well, cheap. The bad: tach refresh rate is very slow, fuel guage does not read properly, clock is 24 hr not 12.

·
stunting is not a crime
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clock im not worried about i know how to tell time in military time but like i said I think im just gonna have to spend the big money and buy a named one and pay someone to hook it up, But thanks for all the info

·
stunting is not a crime
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, I have been looking over that and still have no idea which one to get and im not the best at doing wiring like that, and I havent meet any CF people that live by me, But I still have to a headlight and charging system looked and fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts