Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My beloved ZX6R F2 is having gear changing trouble.
After accelerating a little bit harder on first and second gear I can not get into third gear until the revs have gone down, but if i accelerate slowly the gears are working just fine. I´ve changed the oil and played around with the clutch cable without any improvement. Read something about "forks" that could be bent or worn somewhere but I can´t find the thread again now.

Anybody having an idea what could be wrong and what I should do?

Thanks in advance!!

·
moron with a hammer
119 Posts
If you changed the oil with the same stuff it had in it, maybe try a different brand. Kawis can be picky about oil, or at least moreso than the other Japanese makes. Readjust your clutch. Check the shift linkage and adjust it.

If there's no improvement with any of that, next you'll want to look at the shift shaft and the pawls of the change mechanism. Those should be accessible under one of the engine covers, and that's a relatively easy fix.

If there's no unusual or excessive wear, then you worry about bent shift forks and the like, because that's a much larger job.

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer planningoncrashing.

I´ll try another oil this weekend, she didn´t get the good stuff she deserves last time so that could actually be the problem. If not I´ll take the gearbox apart this winter since riding season is coming to an end here anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts