Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Poked around this forum for inspiration about a year ago. Just brought home a black 05 ZX10R and stripped her down. Only had 3,400 miles so oil, lube cables, brake fluid, coolant, etc. was first step.

First question is: throttle response is super slow compared to my CBR1000rr. You whack it and it seems to take a day to spool up... even in neutral. I WD40'd the crap out of the cables and exhaust valve motor/cables/butterfly. Seemed to help but not sure. Letting it soke a day to see. Is this normal for this bike?

Now shopping for handle bars. Don't really like the LSL's but having trouble finding alternatives.

Not much to see in pics just yet (just a stripped ZX) but stay tuned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is in its native form and stripped. Denali D2 lights and plate holder arrived today. CNC top yoke for fat bars on order. Have 4 bars to try out position but leaning towards the gold Protapers. Also vetting the Hawk and Danmoto carbon exhaust slip ons.

I was looking at different upper fairings like the popular hockey mask and some others but I think the stock upper looks pretty bad ass with its Multistrata type beak. The fairing stay has two attachment points on either side of the lower screen for the Denali lights... no major mods needed so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Messed with wiring and new Denali lights for about 6 hours this weekend. Will send pics when I get it all tucked up.

CNC top yoke and DanMoto slip on are on the way.

Trying to figure out what to do with the coolant overflow. So many choices and so many places to put it. Would love to hide it somewhere but havent figure out how.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay here are some photos of my progress.

Got all the wires up under the tank as best I could. I REALLY want to get rid of the rubber apron that on top of the engine but not sure if A. my wires will melt or B. something above the engine it was meant to protect will get too hot.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are:
1.The Denali lights up and running!
2. The lic plate holder I got on e-bay (sorry for dark pics).
3. The aluminum water bottle I attached nipples to.

I plan to put the water bottle on the right side of the bike between the engine and radiator. It tucks in nice bolted to the tab on top of the radiator right next to the radiator cap.

Still waiting for wheels, top yoke, and pipe

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
Got new DanMoto slip on. Fabulous $150 carbon fiber can with up pipe. I ordered the optional baffle. It went on perfect, fueling is spot on (stock) and I saved 4lbs!

Tank is off to install Ivan's TRE but I plan to call them first as I want to make sure it just gets rid of the soft throttle response under 5k that i have been bitching about.

Snagged a Penski triple clicker shock for $375 shipped! Will be here tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Very sweet build, I am very jealous, please remove the front fork reflectors and all that stuff in front of the forks :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very sweet build, I am very jealous, please remove the front fork reflectors and all that stuff in front of the forks :)
They are off LOL I just got around to them. I like the whole beak looking windscreen if the bars clear it. Still waiting for the freaking top yoke!

·
ZX-6R Fighterer
457 Posts
Yeah man I'm with Craz on this the front does not look good with the nose stuck all the way out there. Not trying to be a downer, but it could look much better. I've always liked the look of this 10R fighter:

Modified ram air (looks like it), reusing part of the stock fairing, and projectors on the side. Keep at it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay it been done for a while but just getting around to posting pics. My goal was to make this bike as awesome as possible without any irreversible mods! The ONLY one is I drilled small holes in the upper for the blinker wires. My other goal was performance over looks and I achieved it with 410lbs wet and mods listed below. It is a ticket getting, wheeling, psycho bike that can putt at 55mph comfortably and even tour (2 up even).

Excel wheels
Driven 520 chain/sprockets 1 down front, 2 up rear
06 forks with Elka valves, Ohlins springs
Penske Triple clicker
Dan Moto carbon slip on w servo deactivated
Custom catch can and relocate
Denali lights
Cool-n-comfy triple clamp bar conversion w Driven Racing SBK bars (only ones that fit controls!)
Steel braided lines w reservoir relocate
Japanese bar end mirrors and blinkers

Probably missing something but you get the gist!

Attachments

·
Registered
956 Posts
-1/+2 gearing on a zx10 thats had wide bars put on it...guessing it likes to wheelie whether you want to or not? haha i like the danmoto cans i run one on my bike. not bad for chinese product!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually everyone says that (and you would think that) but it's quite stable even with a passenger. I had a Triumph ST once upon a time and despite being a pig... it would always wheelie with a passenger. This bike is steady as she goes with a passenger. I just did a 300 mile trip with my wife who is used a top bag and no wheelies and she was happy.

Don't get me wrong... whacking it at any RPM in first gear will flip it over backward, if you like and whack it at about 6k in second and it will also 12 o'clock (especially fun while overtaking a car) :rock:

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the the Dan Moto can. I have sampled dozens of cans in my life, including custom built, and have found nothing this good at this price. It is build fabulously and cost me $150usd with an insert. The insert is absolutely perfect. You know there is an engine down there, and it has that liter bike tone, but is not obnoxiously loud. I don't typically endorse things but this pipe is 5 star!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts