1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Necessary bike building tool:

Ratchet Straps:

And of course, something overhead that has a pretty low chance of breaking and killing you.

If you're taking a bike apart, being able to suspend the frame in the air makes it a lot easier. A ladder, an overhead porch, an engine crane. Be creative. If three people can stand on it without it crushing, you can most likely use it to hold a bike up.

Protip: "How many people can stand on it" is a measurement system developed by mechanics over a hundred years ago.

There you be. :haelo:

·
Perpetual Project
3,695 Posts
I've used a porch, a tree branch, the place I live now has neither though so I finally had to break down and spend $7 on a set of jack stands:bawling: :D

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
yah i had a sweet I-beam in my parents garage. but my house now has two by threes that sag if i put both my hands on there. so thats aint holding me up.

last time i needed to pull the swinger off i built a frame like this:

|_|

but flipped upside down. the crossmember went thru the subframe and the two posts sat on the ground.

ghetto fab. worked good enough. little shaky but it was good.

(i want a bulldog smiley here)

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
i don't have a garage, a lift, a hoist, a beam, or even a tree, so i built this so i can at least strap a bike down upright. not in this pic, but i have a big ass chock on one end, and if i have to take off suspension of either end of the bike, i lock the opposite end in the chock, strap it down, and put a jack under the middle of the bike to lift the free end off the ground. works like a charm. if i have to get both ends off... well... i just do one end at a time. :D

and yes, it's built like that so the top is level, which my driveway most certainly isn't. i got tired of bikes sliding down the slope.

canta fordno bike lift co.
*patent pending

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good stuff....

Personally, I have used the overhead-joist-in-the-old-crappy-shed method, with successful results. successful = no injuries due to bike tumbling onto my noggin......

The engine hoist idea is good though 'cause it's still portable.

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
You guys will get a laugh when you see pics of me putting my engine into my fighter in my LR......frame on its side, motor on its side. LOL

I'll have to get up pics of me doing my suspension mods to my SV1K....swapped the front end and rear shock, all in my LR.....jack stands and frame sliders go a long way. :party-smiley:

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
DougZ said:
You guys will get a laugh when you see pics of me putting my engine into my fighter in my LR......frame on its side, motor on its side. LOL
hahaha.. i've done that before. it never fails, when it's time to put the motor back in, there's never anyone around to lend a hand. gotta do what you gotta do.

·
the mad doctor
3,399 Posts
pssshhhh.... that costs money... something i have very very little of.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stay tuned for more ghetto bike building tricks, courtesy of :haelo: himself.

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
My ghetto is not as... well ghetto but note the car jack!! But i have to give mad props to the ladder thats pretty ghetto

Attachments

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
sometimes...when i need it

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
ouch. i would use one. spreading the pressure keeps from caving your oil pan.

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
Okay I will explain if you look closely you can see the bike is actually on the center stand. With the front end off like that no jack is actually required; it will happily balance like that until some jackass touches it or something like that. So when it is set up in my garage the jack is just brought up to the oil pan and made slightly (and I do mean slightly) taught. This alleviates the possibility of that same jackass knocking it over. When I am working on it or legitimately need to jack it up where any significant amount of weight will be on the oil pan a 2X4 is used across the frame.

·
The Philosopher King
296 Posts
Dude i live in Canada...since the US doesn't trade with Cuba what are you smoking Mexican cigars?? I smoke Cuban... when i get a chance i will post a pic of my small but very full humidor

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
i like cigars too :hippie7:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts