Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I went out to the shed the other night and grabbed the swing arm of my future street fighter gix project, to start polishing it. I used a razor to get the stickers off that it had on there from its racing days, and proceeded to try polihsing it with what I always use, Mother Aluminum Mag polish.

Here's the thing: Although it did clean up the surface, it didn't make it shine like things I have polished in the past. I have gotten wheel lips, grab bars, etc, to shine like chrome, with really not too much effort.

Is there some sort of clear protecive coating that I need to maybe sand off before starting in with the Mothers Aluminum polish? If so, what grit to use..I would guess something that won't put scrathces into the metal...maybe a 1500 grit?

Any advice or help is appreciated.

FWIW, I know street fighters are not typically bling machines, but the theme I have in mind, with everything else but the frame and swing arm in flat black, it should look tits.

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
sometimes the aluminum oxide gets really thick on aluminum parts and will form a scale. just run over it with some fine sandpaper, or just a buffing wheel with some more aggressive dressing.

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Endo...great link. I forgot that I has used the Aircraft stripper last time too. Just didn't know if frames had a protective coating or not, but that is now answered. :rock:

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
It is, I love that link. I've used it a lot, found it a few years ago when I did a buddy's swingarm...

·
Gorilla...Hired Gorilla
2,242 Posts
Ya Suzuki anodizes most of the unpainted aluminum parts...sometimes it's so thick you almost gotta sand-blast it off and sometimes it's so thin it will almost wash off. You gotta use something more aggresive than 1500. I'm doing a 93 "banana arm" for my bike and it's been a pain in the ass to strip and polish.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
dont people start polishing with like 400 grit, then move to 800 and on up to the thousands from there??/

·
Welcome to the new day...
2,672 Posts
Just a quick though. Can you guys make a thread or a section for links like endo posted.

Just a library of where to go for things kind of a self help section. Got anything like that already?

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
ChinaSteve said:
Just a quick though. Can you guys make a thread or a section for links like endo posted.

Just a library of where to go for things kind of a self help section. Got anything like that already?
That's a good idea, although I'm worried it would be used for self-promotion more than anything....

SO....

what I will do... (if you guys think this is a good idea)... is start a forum that only Adam and I can post in, then whenever we see a good link that someone posted, we'll put it in there.

Also, if you guys see a good link posted on the site, let us know that you think it should be in there (as Steve just did) and we'll post it there for you.

Does that work for you guys?

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
DO it DO it!

·
The Soft Serve Enigma
16,719 Posts
AB...am I blind? I can't seem to find this polishing link in that section...had to find my own link and dig up this thread lol.

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
PM and tell him to post it there so I don't have to look for it if I ever need it. It's a pretty good one

·
All star !!!
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bringing up an old thread of mine:

I know some guys had mentioned how well oven cleaner works. I scored, from work, some Zep "commercial" oven and grill cleaner. I assume this work fine?

Do I need to cover with plastic like some one mentioned, or just apply it and wipe off later..hopefully with frame paint.

In either case, how long to let it sit with this stuff on there?

Thanks, DZ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts