Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at this for a while, went ahead and pulled the trigger. Title and keys in pocket, rode it a bit already. Sounds awesome when running, likes to die when the revs drop. Not a fighter or even really custom, just gonna get it running nice and ride it ... a lot.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I saw Randakks in my first round of research. Looks like a great resource.... that I hopefully won't need. Supposedly the carbs were 'gone over' a couple months back, even have the receipts for it.

And yeah, its in pretty good shape, no rust or big scrapes. Chrome is bubbly but still there, engine leaks some oil and has scratches on left, badges, bags and signals were sold off... about what you'd expect for a 36 year old $600 bike that comes with a title. Solid bones and still a lot of the original luster left, even the stock exhaust is in decent shape. Needs some love for sure, but will easily pay back the effort in terms of fun and style.

I'm kinda shocked how SMALL the bike is, ergo wise (and even in absolute terms). I expected it to be a land yacht, and instead the ergonomics are about the same (maybe lower) as my old KZ650, and its only a little heavier. My wife was like "oh, that's a nice small bike to practice on while you get the other one running". LOL.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Nice score now when you're done with your other bike you've got a great turbo project

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Yes... and the low center of gravity with the fuel tank under the seat and the boxer engine make them pretty easy to handle.

I also read somewhere that back in the day, when they were introduced, only the Kawa Z900 would outrun them. Course it is a whole different ball game these days.

You are absolutely correct on all counts. I'm always surprised with my dad's 75 how light it feels once you get it moving. You should have fun with this bike.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice score now when you're done with your other bike you've got a great turbo project
Supercharger (like Ammadien is doing) seems more common; it fits the layout really well. Then again, running the exhaust forward and then up into a collector and having a spool that sits right above the engine would be sweet. Would need to re-locate the radiator, but that's true for the super-charger modified bikes too. Not like I have the money for either, or need the power... but if I did, a good USD fork up front would also be in order!

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did some work yesterday; main change to looks is a M bar I picked up and widened (34" wide, 1" wider than the stock bars, but much lower). Photo when I get it in. Other changes in the works:

- mounting air horn under headlight

- New headlight (wiring side lights as turn signals)

Also got some new riding gear, and sewed on a patch.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldn't finish the bar mounts because the &*^$ holes I milled are to small to pull through the mass of wires that need to go to the left switch set. So many wires, just for turn signal, horn, and high / low beam. Here's a pic with the bard bolted in place. The ergos are a bit more extreme than I expected (its a long reach), but the proportions are nice. For somebody even bigger than me, would actually be rather comfy.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the bars on and took her out for a shakedown cruise today. Ergos are actually really good- the reach is PERFECT at high speeds.

Shakedown cruise was more like a 3 hour tour. Got lunch, left town, was 'traveling at a brisk pace'. Got out to Stillwater (local tourest / cruising town) in good time, decided to head north out of town. Come to the dotted line, decide to pass the car in front of me, roll up to 80 mph (in a 40 zone) .... WHOOP WHOOOP!

First thing out of the thirty-something year old cops mouth was "I stopped you because I got you doing 42 in a 30mph zone back in town". Second thing out of his mouth was "wow, that things a classic". (Which explains why he didn't try to tag me for 70+ : I don't think he thought he could make it stick in court, the bike is literally older than the guy who pulled me over.)
I knew I just had to keep my mouth shut, and this one would play out OK, so I just did as asked and made sure to keep my hands visible. Showed him my title (no regisatration, plate is 2 years past expired), couldn't find my motorcycle permit (musta fell out) and handed him the printout for my insurance... which turned out to be a packing slip from Lowbrow Customs! Whoops, guess I left that at home too! This didn't exactly help the situation, and officer friendly looked a bit disappointed as he went back to his patrol SUV.

Ended up getting cited for no proof of insurance and expired plates, both of which are 'fix it' tickets that I can cover at no expense by (horrors) riding back out there and showing my papers at the court house. COULD have been nailed for doing 70+ in a 40, on an unregistered vehicle, which is an impound and (potential) arrest scenario. I told the officer I was sorry for wasting his time, and geared up to go on my way again.

And that's the fun part. When I went to start the bike after my stop, it wouldn't start! Pushed it to a parking lot and tinkered with it a bunch, no dice. Turned over fine, even caught occasionally, played with the petcock in all positions, but no fire. Figured maybe something went wonky when I shut it down at full speed, took a walk, came back, same story. Decided to face facts and call roadside assistance... turns out I was out of gas. Could hear gas sloshing in the tank, so it seems my fuel pump (along with my fuel GAUGE) does not work (or at least not well enough to pull out the last gallon or so). What are the odds of running out of gas LITERALLY as you are being pulled over? Well, that's what happened to me!

Played it a little cooler going back home... meaning I didn't break 80 to pass unless I was on the freeway. Got home and the radiator was boiling and pissed green fluid all over the road. Dragged a peg pulling in my driveway.

It was a good day.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did some electrical work. Stebel Nautilus horn next to the headlight - LOUD, has its own 30 am circuit and relay, would be nice to hook to a motion sensor / voltage drop alarm.
New headlight too. Haven't wired the side LED's yet (will be turn signals, maybe also light with horn).

Aluminum panel down below the "tank" holds 30 amp panel (separate from horn and main panel) with light-up switches for my headlight and radiator fan. They aren't switched by the key, so you can just walk up an flip them on, or park and pull the key with the light and fan still running, looks very nice. Potentially a battery killer if somebody messes with the bike (good reason for alarm w/ voltage sense) but also very reliable and low impact (no connection to original wiring).

·
#114 CVMA/STTARS
3,743 Posts
Is this a motorcycle or a bank? Don't sweat all the wiring crap. Just ride it and enjoy.

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been riding it every chance I get, almost 150 miles already. Lack of headlight and effective cooling tend to cut into the 'enjoy' part of that formula, as does using hand signals to indicate turns (especially turning into my own driveway on a semi-major road - left turn into a drive in the middle of a block is an invite to get rear ended if you don't signal). Horn is just my own wise-ass answer for people who say I need loud pipes (old one wouldn't work without relay anyhow).

On the racetrack, headlights, turn signals, horns, and radiator fans don't matter. For a daily rider, they are the difference be between riding and calling the tow truck (or somebody else calling 911).

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced the bars with a design that both doesn't have a hole milled in a stressed location, and uses MUCH heavier material in a better design. 7/8" dom tubing with ID under 9/16", so walls must be at least 5/32". Rectangular section is 1" x 2" x 1/8" wall. Will be doing a patina at some point, or maybe just heavy oil & rust.

They don't look it, but in fact are 33" long, with 3 12" sections of tubing. section of tubing is 12". Obviously a bit heavy, but lighter than the stock bars, and very stiff, quite nice on a 600lbs bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts