Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there seems to be some interest I will do a build thread for my new project.

I am starting with a 83 GL1100 standard (naked Goldwing). I purchased this bike without the fairings and with a blown headgasket but still runs for $500. It has a clean and current CA title.

So this is what I started with....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So my first objective was to get the big gas tank out from under the seat. In order to do this you are suppose to remove the motor first. Screw that. As this is going to be a bobber and I was cutting off the back any way i got out the cut off wheel. exhaust also removed because it mounted to part of the frame being cut off.

rear frame and gas tank removed....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I stated before the stock tank was located under the seat which is now removed. With the shape of this frame I had to figure out how I was going to do a fuel tank. My ideal was to remove the upper frame rails and replace it with a single backbone. Here is a before pic of the frame...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So without stripping the motor and radiator out and putting this in my frame jig I knew I had to have a method to doing the single backbone.

1. cut, notch, and weld in cross bar
2. cut small upper cross bar out
3. cut, bend, notch new back bone
4. weldbackbone into place. fully welded and plug welded where the top goes into original frame by a little over 2 inches
5. let cool to prevent warping
6. cut off original side bars

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have more cutting and cleaning to completely get rid of original bars but most of it gone. After I did this I noticed that I am going to have a little bit of an issue (kind of), the stock airbox will not fit under the new backbone so I will be making a custom intake box

·
Premium Member
5,673 Posts
That's gotta be one of the weirdest fooking gas tanks I've ever seen on a motorbike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 51 Posts