Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually never ridden a bike before, and before I start riding next year I am thinking of buying a dirtbike this year. Couple questions...

Looking for something under 1500, used obviously. Does it matter if the bike is name brand? Like I said, I just want to learn, ill probably do wheelies and thats it on it, not looking to do any mods. What are some good ones you guys recommend, has to have a manual clutch system so I can learn that too. (I can drive a 5spd, but need to learn hand controls on a bike).

Also how do you guys feel about riding in cold weather. I'll be getting back from poland mid sept, and I live in IL...so I'd purchase it then.

Any advice would help.

-laterS

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
The off-make dirtbikes suck. They fall apart pretty easily.

You'll want a Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, or Kawasaki dirtbike, or a KTM would also work.

Get a four-stroke instead of a two-stroke. Two-strokes are faster but are high maintenance.

A 250 would work out well for you.

Riding in cold weather just means you gotta bundle up more :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Get a four-stroke instead of a two-stroke. Two-strokes are faster but are high maintenance.
I agree with getting a four stroke, but my CRF450R will leave any 250 two stroke in the dust.

If you want something to put around on and learn basic riding, but a cheap sportbike. Riding dirt bikes is completely different than riding sport bikes.

If you are set on getting a dirt bike to learn on, go with an enduro style and then look into turning it into a motard.

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
^^^ +1 ^^^

If your not into off road, or have any isues hauling the bike around to places to ride. Like a truck, or you don't have a few friends with them, You may not get enough use out of it.

You can most probably get a used bike for that amount.

If you are getting into this to wheelie, YES GET THE DIRTBIKE ! It will save you thousands of dollars in the long run. ( 2 cent smiley goes here )

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,647 Posts
dirtbike is a great place to start. i agree about the 4 stroke. . . get something probably UNDER 250cc's unless your a BIG ASS DOOD...any of the smaller bikes will pull you around and be less likely to put you into a scary situation.

best thing about dirtbikes...they crash well. if your gonna crash...let it go.

oh and . . .

buy a :honda:

·
Registered
7 Posts
An older XR250 would be a great starter bike. It will take any and all abuse you can throw at it, parts are super cheap and it doesn't take much to make it street legal if it isn't already.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts