Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Frankenbike builder
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am super rusty, been out of the bike building game for a bit, jumping back in next month with both feet LOL- I am helping a friend with this oil-cooled GSXR, and doing a sub frame thing for him- I want it to be bolt off, and my idea is something like I was doing about 15 years ago LOL- I had a source locally I used in the state I used to live in for rod ends that were aluminum compatible- I want to use adjustable rod ends to mount the subframe, and I need a good source to order them, sometimes they even sell the aluminum brackets, which would save me some time if they have this still somewhere.

If you have pics of your removable subframe for ideas it would be really appreciated as well.

·
Frankenbike builder
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you mean by aluminum compatible. Are you worried about galvanic corrosion? Bikes are covered with steel bolts up against aluminum surfaces. Galvanic corrosion isn't nearly the monster the YouTube experts make it out to be.

If you can find em local I'd would search eBay for heim joints.
Oh, in Hawaii, the galvainc corrosion is off the chain, Like damn near over night. Never experienced anything like it anywhere.

ON the mainland, I haven't had it as bad in 20 years as one day in the rain here.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Two basic means of avoiding galvanic corrosion, 1.) Stick to materials that are pretty much side by side on the galvanic table, 2.) Use what ever comes to hand but make sure they're electrically isolated from each other using nylon washers / bushes etc. If it's your no1 issue, why not make the whole thing in Ally (including the fixings), it'll keep the weight down too

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,526 Posts
QA1 is where I sourced all the rod ends I used on my Hossack front. They have a dozen or so lines, including some that actually ARE aluminum (with steel balls, of course). You can order direct from their site, but I found it cheaper to take the part number from their site and search for that on Summit racing. Order the part from Summit and it will still ship directly from QA1, but shipping costs are MUCH lower (free for orders over $100).

·
Frankenbike builder
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QA1 is where I sourced all the rod ends I used on my Hossack front. They have a dozen or so lines, including some that actually ARE aluminum (with steel balls, of course). You can order direct from their site, but I found it cheaper to take the part number from their site and search for that on Summit racing. Order the part from Summit and it will still ship directly from QA1, but shipping costs are MUCH lower (free for orders over $100).
Wow, this is brilliant, thanks!

·
Frankenbike builder
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No kidding?! Wow. Alright, back to my corner then 😂

What do you do then? Is it just the salty air that does it?
It's a combination - 1) Salt air, no one is very far from the ocean here! 2) Acid rain- the volcano creates a delightful mix for metals. 3) Humidity- the moisture is everywhere, all the time. My motorcycles stored 10 years without being touched in Alaska look better than any motorcycle here not properly cleaned after every ride in a week. I am not exaggerating. Powder coating is the only thing that stands up so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts