Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know how it is, slow Sunday afternoon, chillin with a coffee.....surfin the net ....well that lasted an hour ......i spy a Zed ST frame through the french doors

been there for months.....well if my neighbours can have a plastic stork on a wooden bridge over a tiny pond with fish in i think i can have a disembowled zed ?

but enough was enough ......time to sort it out

cue a visit to the big pile of stuff that keeps getting in the way but i'm sure it'll come in handy one day .

a little dismantling, little grinding, and low and behold ......a mocked up rolling chassis

i'll put the original motor in...with go faster bits , so it'll fit no bother ,

to do- fit the wheel to the arm
fit the arm to the frame
monoshock frame
make yokes
fit front wheel

and a myriad of other little jobs

:D

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The nice thing about the shafty frames Yan is how easy it is to fit a much wider rear end in there. I have a couple of ST frames here at the workshop. I looked at dropping a Triumph single sider in there, which is remarkably easy, although it looks like it would need either 10mm or so off the R/H side of the swinger, or a spacer behind the wheel to centre it. But then there's no issues with chain alignment and offset sprockets or scalloping the side rails like on the chaindrive frames.
The shafty motor converts to chaindrive with a simple swap of the outputshaft, a new sprocket backplate instead of the bevelbox, and a set of gaskets.

·
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The nice thing about the shafty frames Yan is how easy it is to fit a much wider rear end in there. I have a couple of ST frames here at the workshop. I looked at dropping a Triumph single sider in there, which is remarkably easy, although it looks like it would need either 10mm or so off the R/H side of the swinger, or a spacer behind the wheel to centre it. But then there's no issues with chain alignment and offset sprockets or scalloping the side rails like on the chaindrive frames.
The shafty motor converts to chaindrive with a simple swap of the outputshaft, a new sprocket backplate instead of the bevelbox, and a set of gaskets.

hmmmm.....i have a triumph arm in the loft , got the new sprocket back plate , and a full new gearbox, i'll post pics

·
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
found some pics, taken a while ago so details are sketchy

please bear in mind i normaly stay outside the motor

i got a new outputshaft , thought i could swap the gears over, but the new output shaft has a bigger dia

so i put all the gears back on the new shaft and put them back in the cases, needs bearings to suit

does this look on any way right Bill ?

the output shaft pops out through the sprocket back plate

·
609 Posts
Damned tooting pard'ner, just put an arbour bench seat up, planted some strawberries, got a new chimnea for cooking in, some fresh herbs growing, new lawn laid ....................... help me Yan, im afraid................. the old is coming to get me :gdogg:

·
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you can just hold out for a month ......the stupids on the way*.....and they have turbo's . a week of lelly kellies and relentless will sort you out

*kinda like the cavalry ....but.......stoopider......and without horses

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It looks like you have the later outputshaft from the Z1100 shaft, which is based on the J series engine. You need the output shaft from the Z1000A,B or Z1000MkII. I will have a look and see what I've got down here, If I find one I'll gladly swap you as I have a Z1100 shafty which I need to convert to chaindrive for someone.

Once you have the correct shaft, you'll need to get second gear off the original which has the daft 3 ball detent affair. I hold the shaft vertically and get a cordless drill, and use it to spin the shaft round which throws the 3 balls out into the gear pinion which then lets the shaft drop clear, just make sure you have something soft for the shaft to land on rather than yer feet!!!
The gear selector claw will need to be moved, the locking pin the reed spring locates on unscrews and bolts into the other threaded hole next to it, this then lets the selector shaft locate into the second hole, and line through with the new sprocket back plate.
I'll have a look tomorrow in the workshop and see if I have a suitable output shaft, if not I picked one up from Debbens for about £50 for a guy last year.
When you rebuild the gears onto the new shaft I usually leave out the 3 balls, it makes it easier to check gear selection when boting the cases together.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The large bearings are available from Debben but they ain't particularly cheap, I have however found a new supplier and I have 5 pairs of the large bearings on their way to me as well. I also have ten cometic bottom end gasket sets on the shelf, as the chepo gasket sets tend to be, well a bit shit really, and crappy thin paper, the cometic ones are a coated metal on all of them and are much more consistant. For reassembling the cases if the mating surfaces are in good condition then use 'Wellseal' if they're a bit ropy then I use Yamabond grey to seal the cases which is a little more rubbery rather than the wellseal which is like black treacle.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Damned tooting pard'ner, just put an arbour bench seat up, planted some strawberries, got a new chimnea for cooking in, some fresh herbs growing, new lawn laid ....................... help me Yan, im afraid................. the old is coming to get me :gdogg:
Faaakin' ell it's Alan Titchmarsh on a turbo blade, the fastest gardener in the west
:hoe::thumbsup:

·
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds good to me , happily swap output shafts, you may possibly* get a few more questions as i collect all the bits for the bottom end

for possibly read deff

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
No worries Yan, I'm currently building several old Zed motors, a couple of all singing all dancing 1260cc lumps, an 1105cc stockish lump, and a tuned 1075cc J series lump. I've also got an 1170cc GPZ uni motor that I'm building with an old draw through kit on it for someone to do as well now. Then I've got Noels Z1260 Magnum to finish setting up once I get a second cooler for it, and an 1105cc motor to set up in an 'uber rare Piper frame that I've just done. Not to mention my own 1170cc MadCow which I'm finally enjoying riding around on, once I get another rear caliper on it as I've just fried a second caliper and disc from riding with the toe of me Alpinestars crosser botts on the pedal, I melted the piston seals this time it got so hot!!!

·
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i now have the correct output shaft, cheers Bill, and all the gears are now fitted to it . and the bike has been moved inside , figure the best way to make space is just to build bikes with all my spare parts

1 - 20 of 106 Posts