Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went for a ride. Jacqueline wanted to go to this huge HD shop about 60 miles from the house. It was 90 plus today. Well we were cruising down the expressway and all of a sudden traffic came to a dead stop. We were about 3 miles from the next exit. We sat in stop and go traffic for about 20 mins and went about a 1/2 mile. As I said it was over 90 so the pavement had to be 110+. Our bikes were about to have a melt down. We were about 2 miles from the exit so we were talking about going down the side of the road to the exit, about that time 2 HD's rolled by us.

I said lets go, so we did about 20mph down the side of the road to the exit. We rolled up the side of the cars almost all the way to the stop sign. A State cop had the on ramp blocked off and watched us roll up. We were about 5 cars from the stop sign when we pulled back into traffic. The cop walks down to us and stood in front of us and started bitching us out. He wanted to know how many lanes were on the ramp and how many cars we passed on the freeway. We told him we were on air cooled bikes and we were cooking our motors. He said not his problem and started telling us how he could write us all up for careless driving, which is a $300 ticket, double for me because I have a commercial license. Jacqueline and me both had pistols on our sides and the cop kept looking at them. I was waiting for him to say something but he never did.

While all this is going on all the cars in front of us had gone so were holding up an already backed up freeway. Finally he says I don't want to see you do something like this again, like he was ever going to see us again and with his chest all pumped out walked away.

Reactions: piester

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
His time would have been better spent unfucking the traffic jam.

douche cops will always be douchy. He probably just found out his wife is cheating on him with the mailman.

EDIT: I meant mail technician

·
Watch the world burn
1,046 Posts
Cops are fucking dickbags. Crazy power tripping dickbags. Hate that you got fucked with.

Reactions: shotgun

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could have been a lot worse. It was smoking hot everybody was pissed. We had a lady pull over and try and block us. I looked in my mirror and she got on the phone after we passed her. I thought to myself then I bet she's calling the cops. Might be my imagination but it was almost like the cop was waiting for us. He could have wrote us all up. That would have been a ticket that I would have pleaded my case before a judge. I would have told him that under the circumstances a ticket was cheaper than a $5,000 motor.

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Should have shook your hands & admired you guys for full gear in 90 degree heat & hot bikes on boiling pavement! We all would have done the same....;) Glad no ticket!

Reactions: cage and shotgun

·
ThumpaMonsta
213 Posts
Idiot, comon sense, he should've known better. Especially if you were driving under the circumstances you are talking about.

I hardly ever take the emergency lance (whatever it's called in the US) and whenever I do, I know it's both wrong and dangerous, so I won't be doing 90km/h on it ....

Funny thing is, cops won't say anything if you do 110 instead of 90 on the freeway, but they'll bitch if you do 20 on the emergency lane ....

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
could have been worse. what if instead of a cop it was a robot sent back from the future to kill you. and instead of your sidearms you only had silly string? you didnt think of that now did you?

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I did the same thing the other day except I went right down the center line. Once my bike got hot enough I said fuck it. My buddy was trying to tell it was a bad idea and I told him to call me when his bike melts down from sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in 100+ degree heat. You were right cop was a dick but think about what piester said it could have been worse

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't think an air cooled bike would ever "melt down" just from idling in traffic. It isn't producing enough heat. While it feels like you're sitting on a small sun, I bet the piston temperature is still cooler than if you were cruising at 80. Just the fins are nearly as hot as the internals since very little cooling is happening. I've never blown up an air cooled anything just idling and don't know anyone that has. Worst case the fuel starts to percolate in the carbs and it runs like ass until you get moving again.

Using a nice thin 0 or 5w oil helps too since it will circulate the engine faster and maximize the effect of the oil cooler, if you have one.

Still no excuse for some johnny law wannabe to hassle you about it. There's lots of cops that really get off on having a badge on their chest, being able to command authority rather than earn it.

I rarely ever go up the breakdown lane, mainly because several times I've had dickheads suddenly veer their car out of lane to try and block me. Once was a real close call. People figure that if they're not moving you shouldn't be either.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No offence but I don't know where you got your info from. An air cooled motor will get jumping up and down hot idling in traffic. The reason they are called air cooled is because the air flowing thru the fins is what cools them. Even an oil cooler won't help cool it when it's sitting still because no air is flowing thru it.
Running 0 or 5w in an air cooled motor your asking for disaster. It would be like water in your motor once it got hot. I run 20-50 Mobil 1, in fact I thought real hard about a straight 50w and I would except Michigan gets cool nights even in summer. I been to a lot of dyno shootouts and I know the big dogs will run a 0-5w for the pulls because it will give you a couple extra ponies, they will even run there motors a little low on oil for the same reason but they will change to a heavier weight for every day use.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to put a Jag 10 row oil cooler on my bike. It has a fan on it that when running will pull 150cfm a min thru it. The thermostat opens at 180 and the fan kicks on at 205. It should help.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
I've been pretty lucky on this myself. I used to have an oil temp gauge on my bike and it never went over 190. One time I was tearing up a mountain pretty hard. I stayed at it at maximum effort until I came in to town. All that hard riding and then just stopping really shot up the oil temp.Went over 220 degrees and scared me pretty good. Now, I give the bike a couple miles of cool down time before I jump back into traffic.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I should have specified I meant a 0-40 or 5-40 oil, both of which I've run in various air cooled stuff for years without incident. Really thick stuff is unnecessary, saps power, and can wind around the crank in high rpm motors, meaning it's not going other places it needs to be. 15 or 20w cold oils just all get blown through the bypass until the engine warms up, not lubing anything.

In any case, I rode air cooled streetbikes/dirtbikes/quads for years and never had any fail from too much idling.

Idling an air cooled bike is hell for you the rider, the engine couldn't care less. The engine is far hotter internally when underway than idling in traffic. The difference is in traffic the outside of the engine gets nearly as hot, which makes zero difference whatsoever to the engine. No airflow DOES NOT mean no heat transfer.

Heat transfer is a function of temperature difference, airflow, surface area, and a bunch of constants. Simply put the hotter it gets, the more it cools. If you worked it out it would be in kilojoules per second. The greater the difference in temperature and the higher the flow, the more transfer(cooling) occurs.

So you get into traffic and the engine starts to feel hot. The conditions changed and the thermodynamic system is re-establishing equilibrium, meaning to shed heat at the same rate it is produced. But without airflow, the temperature difference has to be greater. So the surface of the engine gets hotter and your legs and crotch get hot and you have a fuss that the bike is going to explode or something. The fact that you feel this heat means the cooling system is working as intended. If you didn't feel more heat, that would mean it's building up inside the engine where it can melt things. Instead it's being safely transferred outward to the fins. Start moving again and the fins will cool off since airflow is accelerating the transfer rate, the difference doesn't need to be as high. This is the beauty of air cooled motors, there's literally nothing that can go wrong to prevent cooling.

Plus, combustion temperatures at idle are nowhere high enough to damage anything, even if there was no cooling going on whatsoever(which is only the case if your daytime highs are in the 600's or so). Pistons start to soften around 1200*. Idling might reach 5 or 600. If someone has burned down an air cooled engine from sitting in traffic I'd love to hear about it.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It depends on the oil, and the amount of anti-oxidant additives in it. That being said, most oils start to break down at temperatures above 260F. The amount of breakdown is dependant on the amount of time spent at temperature and increases exponentially with higher temperatures. In other words, brief excursions to 275 or even higher will produce only minor break down. But long times at temps above 260 are very harmful

Reactions: oldrider

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
I ran my first bandit hot at rolling thunder In 2009. It started smoking like hell. Thought I blew a head gasket. Air cooled oil cooled is bad news wheen idling

Reactions: shotgun
1 - 20 of 22 Posts