Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this bike after it had been kept in a garage for a couple of years. It had been lowsided so the fairings and clipons had taken a beating plus the exhaust can has been bruised a bit. I decided on trying to make a nice streetfighter out of it without putting to much money into it. You can see what i´ve done so far in the pictures below. Now that winter has come to Sweden it´s time to start the off season projects:

- Shorten the can
- Clean and paint the headers
- Fabricating a belly pan
- Fabricating a seat cowl alt. doing a tail swap
- Fabricating a new coolant reserve tank
- Changing the stock speedometer cluster to a smaller Koso/Vapor-style type

Any other suggestions? Thankful for any input i can get. I´ll post pictures of the progress as it happens.

Cheers!!

The way i bought her.

Testmounted the new bars and front light

Cluster and new brake/clutch levers on

Stickers make you faster

So far so good

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Started working on my overflow reserve tank made out of a aluminum bottle today.

Straight from the shop

Found a brass hose connector with the right thread in the hardware store

Amputated the hose connector as i will just run the tube through it anyway

Hopefully i will have time to test mount it tomorrow.

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
Nice bike bud! Yours has progressed a bit further than mine, but we seem to be on the same track. Tell me, does yours have a massive flat spot between 5 and 7k rpm? My ZX6R pulls okay from idle, then practically stops through the mid range, then hits a switch at 7,000 revs and gets to redline in an instant.

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@cookymon: Yup, thought it was due to the fact that i have a LeoVince titanium slip on without changing the jets in the carburators, maybe it´s just the character of the engine? Visited your build thread, look forward to see how your bike turns out. If i have time tomorrow i´ll install the new overflow bottle and speedo :) Pictures will come.

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had half the day off today so i thought i´d get some stuff done, started out with taking the old coolant reserve tank off and fiddled around trying different positions for the new one until i found what i like most.
Then i started tearing off the original speedo and just as i got it off, darkness, the lights went out in the basement. (Somebody please give me a proper place to work on my bike before i go mad)
So that´s how much progress i managed to get done today. Took some pictures with the help of a flashlight, will post better pics when the light is working again. Also got tired of the fake carbon turn signals on the bike and found a pair of LED-signals that i got over from a previous bobber project, painted them black, tell me what you think. I kind of like them, hopefully they will not look to misplaced on the bike later.

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I decided to replace the air filter and the spark plugs a few days ago and ended up cleaning my carburators after finding a whole beach in the air box due to the fact that the old air filter was probably the original one and not very functional anymore, truly amazing that the engine is still running after sucking in all that sand but Ninjas are hard to kill :)

Dirty carbs:

Clean carbs:

Super sucker 2000 carburator cleaning device:

I have also grinded down the mounts on the "frame head" (direct translation swedish-->english, don´t know the exact word for it) to make room for a tighter head lamp installation together with the new speedometer and wrapped the exhaust.

The can is now shortened about 3.5 inches and i´ve bought new mini turn signals since the round ones looked like crap on the bike.

Pretty banged up but still doing the job:

Smaller, brighter and better looking:

Tomorrow night I´ll install the new speedo and new front brake pads. Can´t wait for spring!!!

·
A baby stole my dingo!
627 Posts
How's it goin' bud? Making much progress? Between working full time and having a wife, two kids, a dog and a cat at home I'm surprised I get any time at all to DW on my bike.

Nice mini indicators. I got some $2 Chinese ones off ebay! Did you get your speedo installed?

·
Go for it!!
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey dude!

I know the feeling, i´m in a similar situation here except i´ve managed to fend off all of my daughters attempts to get a pet (because i know who will have to take care of it when it´s not a cute little puppy anymore...).

The progress is slow but never the less going on, did the air box mod yesterday (thanks for helping out) and tonights mission is to get that speedo wired and in place. Got to figure out how and where to mount it and probably fabricate some brackets for it so i´ll be on my way to buy some aluminum on my lunch break. After that i´m more or less ready for spring to arrive except for small things like replacing the old tired battery and slapping more stickers on it :)

Air Box Mod:

Ram Air Filters:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts