Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So did a search and either didn't use the Google right or maybe its not been talked about much on here but with the insanely high increase on bikes of all sorts being jacked around the area ive been looking into things to help stop, catch, ect these assholes.

So first I thought simple locks then I remembered that bolt cutters, grinders, hammers, and such exist.
So then I thought maybe alarm, kill switch, something along those lines but then of course theres trucks, vans, and all sorts to just pickem up and go.
Finally GPS, being able to be notified to the lil box in my pocket that the bike is moving and it will also track it and all that. Ive found a few units online but cant be sure if they are subscription based or what not. ive also read about some people using old smart phones to do the same thing.
So has anyone on here done this, messed with it, still use it, any help would be greatly appreciated. sadly since Cali is Cali I cant just park the bike by my apartment, in a garage or shoot some prick when I hear my bike start up. worse case scenario im walking the bikes thru the living room and onto the patio until I find a better idea....

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,500 Posts
Stealafornia, where if you don't have it just steal it. Sucks.

An old phone is an interesting idea. Would you wire it to the battery to keep it charged? Where are you going to hide it and keep it water and heat proof? You would have to pay for cell service I assume.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha yep that's how it is around here it seems. Depending how small I could get it I thought about epoxy and inside the airbox, run the wires by the drain plug to be as discreet as possible. With the phone yea you'd just splice a charger cable into it, I'd tear open a cigarette charger and solder it together to let it charge off 12 v and not fry the phone. Then the cell battery would act as a backup incase the battery got disconnected As for cell service it would be a prepaid and only time it would need service is to notify you. There's a few apps that allow it to track with GPS [not a paid service] and then send a text when it goes off. I'd prefer just a standalone GPS tho, the phone seems bulky and more of a chance to not work

·
D
187 Posts
I had one of these at one point. But it simply drained the battery to fast. If you left the bike sitting for a little over a week it would drain it. I came to the conclusion that it was better to have the convenience of knowing it would start over the risk that it might get stolen.
I know there are other and better alternatives, but the best ones you need a subscribtion :-(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sucks...oh well turns out the wife might be getting out soon and then its back to Ks where we are going for a decent house and a garage to really start having fun with the bikes.

If I was staying out here tho I would definitely think about one, theres been another set of bikes stolen down the street....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha no, we were both active duty stationed out here. I got out end of last year and her contract is up beginning of '16 but she may be able to push that to as soon as Aug this year.

·
☢
5,596 Posts
There's a reddit where a former bike thief talks about stealing. They'll steal it if they really want it, basically. Disc locks front and rear and a heavy duty chain and lock are your best bet.
The thief will know the the bikes electronics and will quickly cut any wires that shouldn't be there.
Try and Google the reddit thread, lots of info. There was a link posted on here too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts