Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Harrisf1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help on my Gpz1100B2,
I want to put a zx9r-b usd front end on and a zxr9-b rear wheel in.
the bike already has a braced swing arm,
so I just need a little help particularly for the back end, spacers, best calliper and carrier to use and of course chain alignment.

·
Super Moderator
3,040 Posts
How wide is your stock swingarm (inside to inside)? Compare that to the Zx9 which from memory is going to be about 10-10.5" wide. The difference is going to be a good indication of how much work is involved. Also the Zx9 doesn't use a brake arm stay and the Gpz does so finding a caliper hanger off of another bike is your best option unless you're good with a mill.

On my '83 Gpz750, I'm doing a full swingarm swap. Seems that it's actually less work that a wheel swap was going to be.

Also, a steering stem swap is most likely the easiest route for the front end unless AllBalls makes a bearing set for the swap.

Later, Doug

·
Harrisf1
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Doug..

I already have the new steering stem, just gotta get it out of the bottom yoke.

I like the swing arms on the zrx but mine has a metchamex arm on and I don't want to lose that,

On the rear I was going to mill the calliper carrier and use it as the spacer for that side, the only thing I seem to be lost on is the chain run as a 180 tyre goes in, the front sprocket will need stepping out to keep the chain in line. how do I work out how much of an offset the front sprocket needs?

:D

G

·
the only thing I seem to be lost on is the chain run as a 180 tyre goes in, the front sprocket will need stepping out to keep the chain in line. how do I work out how much of an offset the front sprocket needs?

:D
The quick answer is you dont sort the chain run for a start :)

What you actually need to do is fit the wheel with temp spacers & make sure its in alignment with the front, this does not necessarily mean its in the centre of the swingarm, two good straight edges & carefull measurment is needed to get this right & once it is you can look to the chain alignment :)

The chain will clear the tyre at this point as the sprocket carrier & wheel are stock, a straight edge off the sprocket & carefull measurement in to the front sprocket will give you an idea of the offset you need on the sprocket, spacers behind the front sprocket as well as an offset sprocket may be possible & you can usually shave a few mm of the rear sprocket carrier face to get perfect alignment

The only real problem you MAY have is the chain hitting the frame near the front sprocket, i have shaved & plated that area when needed to gain clearance

Once you have all that sorted you can make up your real wheel spacers & bin the temp ones

Hope it helps :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts