Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off i like to thank you for clicking my project thread and showing an interest in my build .

So the story started with you tube and originally I was going to build a bike powered gokart after seeing the crazy things go!, so in the search for a donar bike I stumbled upon the GPZ on gumtree for £300 , it ticked all the boxes for a donar for a kart. It had 600cc inline 4 cylinder , and all the electrics 17,000 miles from new But been in storage for over 5 years. This didn't phase, hands were shaken and I now owned the gpz.

Back at base camp , I had my tools out before the bike even got off the back of the van in my hast I did not take a beforehand a picture of the bike because at this point I was not going to use it as a bike. Got all the fairings off and discovered no air box infact no air filters at all only cheese cloth tie wrapped to the carbs , and a missing battery but apart from that the bike did not seem to have any bad vice's. I needed to hear the motor run before I spent any more cash on a gokart frame so a fist full of cash i was off to the local parts store , new battery oil/filter pod filters because of no air box , set of plugs and fresh fuel. Now they were fitted I started up the bike Brum Brum! it was alive thought lets go see what it rides like Big Mistake , after a five minute blast all my plans were out the window and before I arrived back grinning from ear to ear I decided the bike was staying as a bike.

Well since the bike was running I thought I get the carbs ultrasonically cleaned idiots had my carbs 3 weeks before they started working on them this was the same parts shop I bought all my service bits then when they did they it took them another week. So my progress so far has only been cosmetic I re-painted the frame re-wrapped the wiring loom fairing is gone new indicators and headlamps it is very much work in progress and now I have had my carbs back last few days I will now be able to get it to run better. So without further ado here's some pics

Comments and suggestion are truly welcome

Thanks for reading vas

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tried to replace my bar ends today , things were stuck on with thread lock so had to drill them out after a 30minute battle i finally got them off and my bar ends are the wrong type Grrrrrr . So I now have shorter handle bars :)

Installed coolant over flow res in a new position and removed the two plastic bars going across the frame .

Work needs to be done on the front end there's too much bulk there .

Well that's all for today

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you think you sorted one issue another appears . After I posted the latest pic I noticed my L.E.D flashers were steamed up , they were £10 for two pairs with the flasher relay got them off amazon uk .

After having a look at them I am not sure if I just did not fit them correctly or there just Shiite cheap parts.

These flashers have a hollow bolt holding them on so moisture and water can just go down the bolt and into the flasher head should have there been a gasket plug or something to prevent this.

Only simple fix I can think of the top of my head is fill the hole with silicon ?

ATM all 4 flashers work but all 4 are wet and misty

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to CF nice start

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went for a good ride today , done 20 miles through the valleys had a right giggle , I have no biker mates to enjoy it with me :) so headed home and started on the front end , stripped ready to work on in the morning . Looks much cleaner up the front just have to try and mount the lights and indicators as close as I can .

Also see what I can do about that dent in the tank ? Any ideas

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used a bit of scrap PVC stuff and scrap bit of alloy , to make headlight fit close to the forks as I could painted it with black gloss no primer etc just tidy it up a little forgot about flashers so had to make a mount outta scrap alley same thing sprayed it Rago .

Then was just messing around with a darth helmet I actually have 2 but anyways what u think

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys I didn't use the helmet after , may use it in the future vader do not look right without his top helmet shiny dome so may have to mount it higher with straight bars comming out the side and gauges in the back of his helmet but before all that I have a lot of work ahead.

As with all old bikes thats stood for years 5 actually. i'am still on the snagging list and the gpz was very ill yesterday when I went for a ride seemed I had to stop very five minutes for a unkown reason starts & idle great few miles down the road I get a shit load of bog down in every gear until I had to pull over . Stop for a few minutes and it was all ok again ... Also my throttle seems to be sticking as we all know that not good. I am going to have to drain the coolant today and pull the plugs out and check the gaps .also have to take carbs off to check mixture screws that's a pain.. Any suggestion's as what could be going on I'd appreciate

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
The bogging down thing sounds oddly familiar... it is one of two things that could cause it to happen, most likely the CDI box for the ignition system is failing as they seem to all do that eventually on the '85's, or, you have the soft valve seat issue happening that the '85 zeds were notorious for.

Checking valve clearance on them is very easy, just pop the valve cover off, pull the stator cover, rotate the engine to TDC and check the valve lash on a few of them and it'll tell you if you are out of spec or not. As the engine heats it hangs the valves open causing it to feel starved for fuel, it's actually starving for compression. A simple adjustment will take you another 5,000 miles or so before it begins to loose power again.

For the record when those '85's run right, they fookin' RUN. Truly an intoxicating sound outta those bikes. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks rat fighter , I am glad it was actually you that replied , as I had this bike little over two months , and every google search I did on a Z street-fighter , it was always your build , and I even read about the valve's before in one of your post's seemed u had a issue with them too.

I was hoping I could get more than 100 miles riding done before it was time to do it but fate is a cruel bitch she knew I bought feeler gauges and they were still in the packet.

Well I didn't manage to do anything today bashed my right hand taking off the right clip on when the bolt broke its seal my hand smashed the brake res on the corner right in the tendon's full force .

I took the CDi off it did look a bit water damaged and a few pins on the connector looks like there going to have a date with the emery cloth , took off the rear cover since it was screwed on thinking It may be shitted up inside or a trace may have corroded , pcp board looks clean after removal and it doesn't look like water has been inside , I could have pulled it out but what I seen makes me think I may be ok .

The bikes on 17 thousand miles now and if your saying every 5 thou they should be checked, there 2 thou over due .

Well tomorrow is another day and another job on the list ,appreciate you taking your time to reply rat many thanks .

few pics of the CDi

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bikes in bits ATM , carbs off going to attack valve adjustment tomorrow.

A quick pic I done on the ipad of what look I am going for... May boot up photoshop tomorrow for a better render.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I barrel rolled into stripping the old G today.

Until I got to the point of I don't know actually what tolerances I am looking for ...thought google gpz valve adjustment , not much I could find accept this site hoping there right.

http://www.motorbikespecs.net/index.dyn?flag=2&model_id=1914540&make=Kawasaki

I also think I need a special tool to adjust the valves is that right? . So had to pop cover back and hopefully someone could advise me here .

Mandatory pics

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
For the adjusters, my brother used a small adjustable wrench for the tops of the adjusters and a basic boxed end wrench to free and tighten the lock nut on the adjuster. If I remember right, half the valves (both intake and exhaust sets) are adjusted at TDC and the other half are BDC. It was an odd procedure to get them into perfect spec, but once it is set there is no worries about it after that.

(20 minutes of digging through my horribly disorganized internet favorites folder returned a link to the actual PDF scan of the original Kawasaki ZX6A1 service manual.)

Here is the service manual for your bike:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/msus3cjxpehc8f2/1986-1989 ZX600 A-C series base manual.pdf

Chapter 4-18 is all about the top end measurement and adjustment. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I really appreciate that mate , thanks for that probably by time I read all this it will be dark , so I will update u all on the morrow and probably fiddle with the carbs etc make sure there all at factory spec ... Always loads to do :D

Not long before a Burn out vid :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts