Rolled the bike back up on the lift tonight. Hopefully the next time it rolls back off it'll be running.
Started sorting the pieces and parts needed for the turbo conversion. I need to mount the fuel pump and fuel filter, relocate the R/R (again), perhaps make a new battery box (again), mount the EFI computer, cut out a front frame crossmember and add a new one up higher plus fab a new exhaust system....at the very least.
It's gonna be like trying to stuff 10lbs of crap into a 5lb sack.
Removed a cross brace that was in the way of the turbo mounting bracket. The actual turbo bike has the brace up higher so I made my own. Now the turbo hots the engine cases but at least I can get it close to where it'll actually be located.
Also discovered I didn't have the turbo to boost pipe boot. So I ended up ordering a couple cheap silicone couplers from eBay. They seem fine and seller advertised a 45psi working pressure so they should hold up fine at 12-15psi.
I did some heavy lifting (literally) the last couple weeks. The turbo engine is just different enough from the NA engine that I swapped them out so I could be sure everything fit 100%. This allowed me to find the correct offset front sprocket (the turbo has a 6mm longer output shaft) plus finalize my exhaust system.
While I had the engine out I went ahead an dressed up where I removed the lower front cross-member.
Once the turbo lump was in place, I moved on to the exhaust. I went ahead and kept the muffler for now. It's easy enough to make another flange and dump pipe later. (Don't mind the weld quality, as I'm using flux-core wire.) I thought it turned out nice and followed the lines of the frame and body work well.
My how almost four years fly by when you’re hiding a project under a blanket. I really need to read through my own thread and figure out exactly what I’ve covered and where I left off.
I got tired of moving it around and got some time freed up from working on other people’s bikes so time to get back on it. I have been collecting parts since the last update and been daydreaming/scheming on how I want the final product to look like.
Sebspeed put in way too much work (which I greatly appreciate) shortening and threading a Triumph axle for use with a Ducati 916 rim. Using the Triumph eccentric and newer SpeedTriple rotor, I’m able to reuse my custom Brembo caliper bracket. Both the Vfr and Triumph sprocket hub fit but the Triumph unit seems to keep the chain line straight when I have a 3/8” offset front sprocket.
Mounted up a mock-up tire using the zip-tire method. First time trying it and it took 10-15 mins if that. Not sure how removing a tire will be though.
I have bike building ADD and jump from task to task. After the rear I bounced up to the front again. I wasn’t feeling my attempt at a front fairing bracket so I bought a 84-85 piece as it’s different from the 83 and will work better for me.
I’ve been working on the Gpz when I have the spare time. I noticed while rolling it around some thuds from the back wheel. I thought it might the valve stem hitting the caliper like the VFR wheel did with my custom caliper bracket. (I solved that by buying a Brembo caliper with the ports on the side rather than the top.)
I was wrong....
I have a plan but for now at least it still looks cool!
I became tired of dealing with the rear wheel and brake so I turned my attention back to the front.
Managed to figure out a mounting setup for the Earl’s oil cooler. The cooler I’ve finally settled on doesn’t have the tabs like most. Figuring out how to mount it vertically and keep the package small (the cooler is 7x3x2) was a pain. I think I got it though. I ended up making the upper mounting tabs that weld onto the fairing stay too short so I have to remake those.
Went about trying to finalize a headlight mounting configuration. I used a piece of 1/4” round rod tacked on so the it could be relatively easily bent to finalize a location and set the beam where I want it. (You can also see I made new oil cooler mountain tabs and have them tacked on as well.)
Yessir! A few posts of mine ago, I showed a pic of the front fairing with a piece of perforated plate taped to it. I’ll be making a hole the same approximate size as the cooler’s core and cover it with the plate. Then I’ll make a duct somehow to connect the opening to the cooler.
I’m going for something like this but with a vertical opening offset to the left, obviously.
Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
A forum community dedicated to Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, builds, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!