Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yessir! A few posts of mine ago, I showed a pic of the front fairing with a piece of perforated plate taped to it. I’ll be making a hole the same approximate size as the cooler’s core and cover it with the plate. Then I’ll make a duct somehow to connect the opening to the cooler.

I’m going for something like this but with a vertical opening offset to the left, obviously.

Later, Doug
Yep, that's tasty :rock:

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I finally have no bikes other than my own in the garage right now. So back to focusing on my own projects.

I’ve started about 5-6 different headlight mounting designs and think I finally came up with one I like. I still need to add lightening holes or shape the side plates more but it’s forward progress.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I trimmed up the headlight mounting plate some to make it less bulky. I’m still debating if I remove more material from what’s left.

I also made a quick mock-up dash to see if I like the layout before working on a mounting solution. The oil pressure gauge and tach are going to to be sold off to buy an AFR gauge and fancy Stack tach/speedo to fill in the vacant holes.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I was able to jump back on the bike and continued on the dash. I found a small universal gear indicator so I reconfigured the dash layout slightly. I swapped up to 1/8” thick material for the finalized panel. Next is to fab mounts on the fairing stay to hold it on.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I put the windshield on to help visualize exactly where the new dash should be and still be visible. It may have snow-balled a little bit. I ended up mocking up all the panels and the seat. I love the lines and the stance and can’t wait to do more work on the bike.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I spent several hours on my mill today making a holder for the gear indicator. Very pleased with it. Only had one mistake but it’s hidden by the gear indicator itself.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Turned some threaded bungs, cut and notched some 3/8” tubing and a few tack welds and my dash is mounted.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Started centering the new front wheel setup. I think I made the spacer 0.5mm too thin but it’s hard to get an accurate measurement. I went from the caliper adapters I have to the brake rotor on both sides to keep a common symmetrical base point. I used a set of digital calipers with the the depth gauge method. Any suggestions on a better method?

Later, Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome restomod build thread! I have weak spot for GPZ's, as the 84' 550 was my first bike. Thanks for documenting it, and I look forward to future updates. (y)

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks for the kind words Budo.

I make more progress....

The ‘84-85 fairing stay I’m using is different than the ‘83 and attaches to the frame’s downtubes differently. It took my a few weeks to come up with a solution that I didn’t hate. First was to cut off the factory mounts and then make up some little brackets. I also turned some threaded bungs to weld into the fairing stay after cutting of the ends as again they didn’t fit the ‘83’s frame.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I didn’t like the old plate bracket I made another using one from another bike as a template. The plate light sticks out a bit further than I’d like but it is what it is.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
The new plate bracket looks good Doug!

BTW, I drove a buddies GPZ 750 turbo back in the day (it was stock), and it was a fun bike.

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
One step forward, two steps back....you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette....best laid plans....however you want to phrase it but I’m changing my headlight setup slightly. I’m doing away with the single 3” bi-halogen projector light and will be using two Hella 60mm projectors (one low beam and one high beam). That means I had to cut out my headlight block off panel and will fiberglass in a new one. I was a little devastated but I had already butchered the hole for the single projector.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Doug,

I like the new headlight setup. Are the new projectors halogen or HID?

Also, what prompted you to move away from the bi-xenon HID single projector?

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I like the new headlight setup. Are the new projectors halogen or HID?
The lights use halogen (HB3/9005) bulbs. My HID kit won’t work with either housing but I don’t plan on riding at night much.

Also, what prompted you to move away from the bi-xenon HID single projector?
I was never really satisfied with the mounting bracket design and lack beam adjustability on the bi-xenon setup I made. If I wasn’t running the oil cooler behind the fairing, I would have stayed with the single light I think. But with the screen for the oil cooler the balance looked off as only one corner was still empty.

Later, Doug

Reactions: thaOrleanyte

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Been pretty idle on my projects while doing work on other people’s bikes. I finally took time to shorten up the dented Ladybird muffler I bought months ago. It had a few more dings than I remembered it having. I ended up shortening it 5.5”. I cleaned up the cut end and now the only telling sign I did anything are mis-matched rivet styles.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Finalized the my muffler mount. Made up a simple little hanger. Only thing I may do is shorten the exhaust pipe itself to drop the muffler outlet away from the bodywork.

Later, Doug

61 - 80 of 80 Posts