Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Since swapping to the hybrid rear-end mashup, the caliper bracket I made to fit the Brembo caliper with the stock VFR wheel no longer works. So I found just about the smallest caliper I could and set out to remake another bracket.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I decided that some self-torture was in order so I set about working on the wiring again. My first attempt was modifying the original harness but I abandoned that. Now I’m trying to use a Zr7S harness since it uses a newer junction/fuse box arrangement and the bikes are loosely related. I still have to modify it to adapt the Zx14 R/R, Ex650 LH switch gear, Zx12 RH switch, DFI sub-harness, custom gauges and a gear indicator. I’ll get there but it’s going to take a lot of time.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I don’t mind wiring at all when it’s straight forward. It’s when I’m trying to integrate all the “foreign” components that my head starts spinning.

Later, Doug

Reactions: 370steve

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I started gathering electronic components to make sure I have all items accounted for. My original plan was to buy a Stack tachometer with built-in digital speedometer function but after waiting several weeks with no delivery date available, I cancelled my order and went a slightly different direction. I bought a single function Stack tach but added on a Koso speedo unit. That meant re-laying out the gauges. I added an indicator light for the FI fault warning and a shift light (now needed with the standalone tach).

It’s quite bulky from my previous 3 gauge layout but it will serve its purpose well.

Later, Doug

Reactions: CK 187 and 370steve

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Set about finalizing the Ducati front wheel swap. Turned some 5mm mock-up caliper spacers since I’m using 320mm rotors from the Duc and not 310mm stock rotors. Ended up using a 5mm spacer to move the rotors out and 3mm shim between the fork and caliper bracket to move the calipers in. Rotors are almost perfectly centered in the calipers now. I have the wheel spacers turned up but I think one’s slightly too short and I’m worried about fork binding.

Later, Doug

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Still been too busy wrenching on other people’s bikes to do much on any of mine. But I’ve gathered a couple parts, namely a pair of newer Duc 5-spoke rims to replace the older 3-spoke versions I have now. (No I did’t get a bottle of liquor with my rim purchase. It’s what the seller used to bag up the retaining hardware.)

I also been thinking of the paint scheme all the while. I’m leaning toward a blue Zrx paint job with gold rims.

Later, Doug

Reactions: CK 187

·
Super Moderator
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I finally addressed an issue that’s been bugging me since I adapted the Zx12 Gilles rearsets to the bike: remote reservoir hose routing and mounting the reservoir. The master cylinder sits outside the side cover so the hose would have to had to a couple bends down and around the frame to behind the cover somewhere.

Until…I saw James Compton’s Zrxs. He uses a Brembo master cylinder with an integral reservoir. Compton wants $160+ for a new one so I started looking around eBay. I found a used M/C from a KTM for about 2/3 the price.

Of course being a Brembo unit, the 40mm spacing is less than Nissin and Tokico items. So some 1/4x 2” flat bar was used to make a new mount.

Later, Doug

81 - 91 of 91 Posts