Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Gpz750 Resto-Mod (Continued)

24K views 114 replies 28 participants last post by  Streetfighterkz 
#1 ·
This thread picks up where I left off after failing to complete the 2014 Winter Build-off.

I finally got all the pieces for my rearsets. I ordered a new lever plate and a M6 heim joint to complete my linkage as well as Zr7 shift link for the engine side. The Zr7 link was necessary as the GPz link was made to run the rod on top and with the Gilles running the rod on the bottom, I would have GP shifting which I don't really want at this time and the Zr7 linkage is underslung. So anyways, I installed the Zr7 link and wouldn't you know it, the side stand hits it.

It looked like I had enough room to cut and re-weld the joint inward.

But I don't..

So my options are GP shifting or relocate the stock sidestand or replace with something less bulky and cleaner.

Later, Doug

See less See more
Reactions: Pariah
#3 ·
Well I was just looking at this for my Gpz tonight

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1514...ick-stand-lug-mount-for-triumph-or-universal/

Cheapish and looks lighter than the stock one. My rough measurements tell me its a direct fit...kinda. The stock ones use en extra tab to stop the side of the kickstand whereas it looks like this relies on the throat of the clevis to provide the stop for the kick stand.

I was going to weld up a longer tubular steel kick stand in place of the cast hunk I currently have, why not put it in an out of the way spot

#4 ·
Thanks for the link. I have a different kickstand and mount from a newer Kaw sportbike but I'm still debating on what I want to do. It's not like I can revert back to the stock rear suspension at this point anyway.

Later, Doug

#5 ·
I messed with the side stand and linkage some more. I think even if I used a different linkage configuration the side stand would be in the way of the shifter and my size 13 foot.

I found a longer than needed shift rod in my spare parts bin and with a little help from a bandsaw, lathe, and die ended up with a correct rod.

Also finished the fender mounts using my cardboard template I did months ago. Again a little bandsaw, lathe, grinder, welder action..

The odd bolts will be replaced with some nicer looking ones when the time comes.

More to come as I get a little more time to work on it.

Later, Doug

#7 ·
Haven't did a whole lot lately but progress is progress.

New steering stop tab welded under the stock one.

Got the exhaust off without any trouble. Four studs came out and the other four stayed in. No drama otherwise.

I also scored a Zr7 oil cooler from eBay for a pretty good deal. It's a little bigger but the fittings are the same just the hoses are a tad shorter. I still have to make new mounts as the GPz and Zr7 holes don't match up.

Also cut out the stock battery box brace and welded on a tab for rear M/C reservoir.

My "before final welding" to-do list is growing shorter.

Later, Doug

#8 ·
A little more progress...

And the oil cooler temporarily hung from the new top mount.

Still need to make a couple bottom mounting tabs yet. Probably will get to them tomorrow.

Later, Doug

#9 ·
Finished up the oil cooler lower bracket. I used the bracket I cut off that was made for the battery tray and cut it to be the same height as the bung used for the upper mount. My weld beads look like crap IMO but they'll blend in with the crap factory welds so no biggie.

Later, Doug

#11 ·
Been a while but I picked up a really cool set of goodies on eBay that were so super cheap I just couldn't pass up.

Also built a battery box/cage/holder thing-a-ma-bob.

Tabs tacked up.

Plenty of room.

Mounted up a Zx10 R/R in the stock location with a simple bracket.

Later, Doug

#12 ·
Looking good, Doug.

I wish I was smart enough to buy some risers like those sweet LSL items you've got instead of buying generic-POS-butt fugly ones and messing up my top triple. A few helicoils and a lot of luck might just save it, or I'm gonna chalk it up as a learning experience and buy one of LSLs upper triples....hmmm Yantosh?

#15 ·
A custom triple clamp would have been nice but the LSL setup was cheaper than just the postage of a Yantosh triple I'm guessing.

I'm now trying to decide on a decent set of bars. I have been using BikeMaster Superbike bars on all my projects but the risers sit a bit high so maybe dragbars are needed?

Later, Doug

#18 ·
I was originally planning on using a Jardine GP-1 muffler from a Gsxr. It looks OK from the side but not great fitment. I will only have about 4.5" of ground clearance with it tight to the oil pan. Plus I will have to make a custom header as the MAC 4-1 that came with the bike ends way too far back to use it.

So I dug out a slightly shortened D&D I was going to throw on my Gsxr750. The MAC header went back on.

Too steep...

Little less steep...

Took a midpipe I had and used it to see what kind of room I had with the rearsets. I should have plenty. I will have to make a midpipe as the one I found is way too small to mate with the header.

Also started on a small fenderette thingy. Not sure if I'll stick with it or not.

Later, Doug

Reactions: BlitzBop and F'dup
#21 ·
Fabbed up the muffler hanger today and bought an exhaust adapter needed to start working on a mid-pipe.

I'm most likely going to have to have a heat shield on the muffler as my heel rests on it.

Later, Doug

#23 ·
I was just messing around yesterday in the garage and noticed the fairing sticks out a bit. Took some measurements and was able to get it about 3/4" closer after some cutting, grinding, and welding. Not super noticeable but I think it helps.

Before...

During...

After...

I'm running out of things to do that are a priority and don't require a lot of money.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to lay out the cash for final TIG welding the rear suspension mounts.

Later, Doug

#24 ·
Wow! I can't believe I haven't updated this thread in 6 months.

I have been plugging away working on the bike and it's not a long ways of from being finally done.

I'm just going to throw up some of the major updates but if you guys want more pics or info on something particular, I'm sure I have them.

Electrical Panel...

Indicator light panel...

License plate and turns signal bracket...

Fabricated mid-pipe...

Started -AN oil cooler lines...

Top mount steering stabilizer (with temp fitting bracket)...

Custom rear caliper bracket for a Brembo caliper from a Ducati...

There's a few other small tasks not mentioned but that covers the major ones.

Later, Doug