Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys n Gals

So this is my 2007 GSXR 750. I've done 80 000km on it and she's in need of a new timing chain chain guides, new clutch and valve clearance. I've dropped her on the track and on the road, she's on her 3rd set of fairings. These are cheap fibreglass fairings with rattle can satin black paint. She creaks and groans so I figure it's time for a custom rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
5,664 Posts
Hey man welcome to the mix! Sounds like you've at least used your bike and had fun doing it! Now go get a build thread going and start stripping her down!

(And a small tiny FU for being able to short short it all year round from a snow bank up to my nuts! :D )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the greetings chaps.
I'm thinking of a military theme fighter. Still a while before I'll be ready to start. I'm working on a project that has me commuting 120km a day and I don't want to do it in my car. Joburg traffuck!
So olive green with a star on the tank?
https://youtu.be/DqNIwfUOl8k

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So 2 years later I've started restoring this old bike.

CAM CHAIN
First thing was to replace the timing chain. This was my first time doing this so I was pretty nervous.
Followed the workshop manual and its actually not that difficult. After buttoning the cam holder back down I checked the valve clearance and there was one out of spec so I had to open her up and drop a shim in and button her up again.

Shims:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hoses

The hoses were totally disgusting. I found this cool braided sleeving and the biggest meanest heatshrink you've ever seen. This heatshrink feels like PVC pipe and shrinks 70% of its diameter and has hot glue impregnated on the inside so it sticks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tripple Tree

Its been a crazy few days. My wife tested positive for coronavirus on 21 March. We were put in immediate quarantine. Then our country was put into lockdown for 3 weeks. I was hoping this would give me time to work on the bike but work is hectic so I haven't had much time for the bike and all hardware stores are closed (not that I'm allowed to go anywhere).

Anyhoo I managed to pull off the front. Bloody red locktight everywhere! I cleaned up the forks and drilled the headstock for the bar risers. I was in two minds about painting the head but then I saw the bar risers went half over the Suzuki badge so I opted to paint it and it doesn't look half bad. Even painted the steering damper.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts