Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Breaking shit...
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Clearcoat and some paint. Ive seen west systems stuff all over the place but wasnt sure what kind to get... 105 and 220 seem to be the most common but ive never done this stuff before, not even fiberglass. I know mechanical, electrical and how to build but i have zero experience with body work.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,372 Posts
This is the exact stuff I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310116238243

It comes in different quantities so check his 'other items'. It is a bit on the thick side so try to warm it up first. It comes with instructions on how to do that.

US Composites is another option.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts

·
10,698 Posts

·
Breaking shit...
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
thanks Yan, thats what I needed to hear. Didnt want to splurge on a whole gallon just to have a ton left over. Although extra supplies never hurt...

Hows the poly resin compare to the epoxy resin in terms of pot life and cure time?

·
30,372 Posts
Hows the poly resin compare to the epoxy resin in terms of pot life and cure time?
You can adjust the poly pot life by varying the MEKP. Epoxy has a set pot life based on what hardener it comes with, it isn't adjustable.

Adding heat after the part is wetted out will speed things up a bit.

·
30,372 Posts
Epoxy has better mechanical adhesion properties, but I see poly being a problem for skinning a tank. Whatever you do you need to use a UV resistant clear coat over it and use a good wax on the finished product to keep the resin from yellowing.

·
Breaking shit...
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
nothing really, im just usually busy and the garage became a storage unit again... I didg manage to clean up some of the ugly welds I bitched about a year ago but aside of that i havent done anything meaningful. Summers almost over so I should get motivated soon (I do more work in the end of summer f/early fall time). I hear public shaming is good motivation.

·
30,372 Posts
Some people start projects and never finish. Those people are failures in life. I know a guy who started a very ambitious build and hasn't done shit in a year or so. Lazy mother fucker. He even posted in this thread a few times. I won't name names though.

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,238 Posts
nothing really, im just usually busy and the garage became a storage unit again... I didg manage to clean up some of the ugly welds I bitched about a year ago but aside of that i havent done anything meaningful. Summers almost over so I should get motivated soon (I do more work in the end of summer f/early fall time). I hear public shaming is good motivation.

Are you requesting public shaming? Because we can do that

I was just posting and bumping out of curiosity

Some people start projects and never finish. Those people are failures in life. I know a guy who started a very ambitious build and hasn't done shit in a year or so. Lazy mother fucker. He even posted in this thread a few times. I won't name names though.

I'm not sure who you mean

It's Mike

181 - 200 of 227 Posts