Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
636 forks are just a direct bolt in affair? No bearing changes or stem swap? :gears:

I happen to have a complete (wheel and tire, brakes, and billet top triple from some stunt part company) 636 front end that looks identical to yours, and a 2007 ER650 I'm building a crash and sub cage for (speaking of, I should get back out to the garage and measure turbo oil feed and return lines for another CF'er) my new to me Ninja.

I really need to get a camera or a phone soon. :D

·
Breaking shit...
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Yep, direct bolt on (04 636 forks and 06 650 bike). I even used my stock bearings for all the mock up pics to keep it in good alignment.

You're gonna turbo the 650?!? I have to see how you do it!

·
UnicycleMode
7,569 Posts
Yep, direct bolt on (04 636 forks and 06 650 bike). I even used my stock bearings for all the mock up pics to keep it in good alignment.

You're gonna turbo the 650?!? I have to see how you do it!
Oh jeeze, should have phrased that better, I needed to get out to the shop to measure stuff on my turbo Bandit for a guy looking for oil line lengths.

The 650 is made of glass when you get above 90hp, and a cam and some head work can do that number all day long with a good tune on it though. No reason to chase around a result you'll never get, and a solid 650 turbo just ain't gonna happen. I was over all the reasons why with the previous owner the summer after he got the bike (2008), the head gasket failed so we dug into it to find out what it was made of. When the engine was open and we were poking around in there, it became clear that there just isn't enough crank, piston, rod (big end), wrist pin, or even clutch and transmission to handle anything above 100-110hp or so... and a big bore SV650 race bike can even do that with big carbs.

The real beauty of this engine is its willingness to comply with anything you want to do. Ride around at 1800rpm in the city being quiet? Does that in a fantastic fashion. Want to find no end to the pull right until rev limiter at 11,500rpm? (screaming for a 650 twin) It'll do that too. It's light weight, fuel injected, has almost no issues anyone has ever found in the entire time it has been in production (Ninja 500 replacement indeed!), and they only get more available and easier to find parts for as time goes on. There is plenty of screamin' hot engines out there just begging for boost, so there really isn't any real need to reinvent the wheel just to make a pretty quick bike, a little bit quicker, and really unreliable. :D

Suppose I'm off to order up fork seals and brake pads for the 636 swap. :D

·
Breaking shit...
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Ahhh, I see. I saw a turbo 650 that claimed around 100hp (I'll try to find it later, at work right now), but have heard from a couple guys on a different forum who race these and its agreed that anything over 90hp is asking for trouble. Its already set up for just about anything outside of ridiculous speed so I agree theyre already good to go. riderforums.com has a section dedicated exclusively to the 650 and thats where I got most of my 636 swap info, theres a couple other options too if you read up but the 636 was the simplest.

201 - 220 of 227 Posts