Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't really had ambition or time, or worse yet, the money to focus on the turbo bike or the superbike builds, so I started digging around in the parts bin and found I had a few compatible bits, that turned into a laundry list of compatible bits... next thing I know I've got the saw out and another project starts.

Before you all think I've lost my mind, I grew up around iron and suspension-less rear frames. It's part of who I am. I've got family with a mag spread for a chop they built together. It's not out of the ordinary for me.

That said, this thing is being built mainly for a weekend loop of the cruising strip, a run for a pack of smokes, or just a cool piece to display in the shop when people stop in. Otherwise it will do duty as a ice drag bike during the winter months. Making a few stops into the local radar speed drags throughout Wisconsin on a 500cc chop with picks in the rear and kold kutter studs up front would be pretty wild in and of itself for anyone attending such an event. I figure doing 75mph all day long in the 1000ft would be impressive on such a machine.

Started cutting the other day....

Then I bent up some tube just to get an idea of what I was looking at in the long run.....

Next thing I know, I'm about 7 hours of fab work away from having an engine mated to what was a roller for 2 hours. Shouldn't really take a whole lot to get this bike finished up and on the road. Might give it a whirl putting knobbies on it and riding it through the whole winter, snow and all. Just to enjoy a different aspect, and challenge, of motorcycling. :D

I guess it's a chopper? Or... I dunno, too many labels, I'm just building a ratty shit pile of a death trap because I can. :D

Not sure how much update this thread will get, but it's not like there is much to say after this point here, or much to update on until massive things get done on the project.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shit, parts list I guess?

GS550E frame
GS500E engine
GS1000C front end (complete including bearings)
KZ550 gas tank
GS500E rear brake
Custom rear frame section
GS500E axle dropouts (a little of the stock swingarm)
CB1100F bars
rear axle from who knows what
And a bit of this and that to complete the build.... the list will undoubtedly grow.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Your always thinking. That's going to be a cool ride.

Reactions: RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've always adored my "hand me down" gear the old man gave me from his drag racing days. Not at liberty (or ability) to post a pic of me wearing bell bottom leather pants, a tight leather Hein Gericke jacket, and what looks like cowboy boots sitting on a XS650D, shit you not being my age you couldn't tell it wasn't nineteen seventy frickin' seven in the picture. Wish I still had that pic, lost in the ether of hard drive crashes and a life gone by... but, I do have a pic of my old man wearing the same stuff on a XS1100 drag bike. I'll dig that one up some time, it really defines why this build is happening.

There is an old school badass about a guy building a chopper in his shop, just hacking, grinding, welding, adjusting, fitting, tuning, and riding his very own connection to the road. I grew up on the pussy pad of full frame twins in a bell bubble shield open face lid thinking to myself, "Maaaaaaan, am I ever gonna have a cool bike like this???"..... 20 years later I am sitting here finding the best phrasing for my replies to a build thread on the very bike I've dreamed of for over two decades... I guess I avoided it due to the lack of a challenge to build such a bike. I know these machines intimately, there is nothing to find a new with. But I have seen the top of the mountain, and it is good, but there is a path left for this old soul, a way that hasn't been explored...

This here my friends, fuck it, I'll label my bike here.... it's an "Attack Chopper". :nuts:

http://attackchoppers.blogspot.com/ (This article was inspiring) :thumbsup:

From the above site:

My chopper manifesto:

I do not accept the assumption that a rigid framed motorcycle cannot go fast, stop quickly, or handle well. I want my choppers to perform above the social accepted performance standard for rigid framed motorcycles; (that is to say: BAD)
These are the standards I have set before myself to achieve with said choppers:

My choppers must be able to Evade, Pursue, and allow me to survive.
My choppers must be light.
My choppers must be skinny and be able to navigate tight traffic with ease.
My choppers must go fast, accelerate hard, stop well, handle good, and do so without fusing my vertabrae.
My choppers must not scrape hard parts when leaning.
My choppers are not bar hoppers.
My choppers are not non-functioning scuplture.
My choppers must function like a real, useable vehicle.
My choppers must be a valid mode of transportation.
My choppers must not be built for other peoples enjoyment or entertainment.
My choppers must be built for me and my preferences and standards alone.
My choppers must not be fragile.
My choppers must be able to hop curbs, hit potholes, skid, wheelie, do burn outs and crash without breaking.
My choppers must be able to be ridden on all sufaces (Pavement, dirt, gravel, snow, sand, mud)

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Through my vast and usually unspoken connections I am in the process of building a frame jig with a few great minds of the industry... using parts of a jig that built a few rather (locally) famous bikes. As well, there is a tube bender (a proper one!) on the way too, on loan, for the frame build. That is pretty epic to have a motorcycle builder lend you a monster tube bender and all the proper bits to set it up and build a frame from. :D

Gonna ditch the GS1000 front wheel soon and use the stock GS500E wheel (small 17") with a 100 section tire and 310mm brake disk. That will balance out the geometry and give it a more long and low appearance, as well as put modern tubeless tires on it and reduce front end unsprung mass by a great deal. I am trying my ass off here to keep this bike under the 350lb mark. Would have been cool to track down a two stroke twin for this build...

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Damn rat I would love to come to your garage just spend a weekend there build something and ride it home lol.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some attention was drawn away from this project toward the end of the warm season here in the north, eventually leading to snow and freezing temps having me scramble to fit everything into the shop and button it all up for the winter and move on to indoor projects with the house. Ain't much fun working with tools and parts that stick to bare skin and cause freeze burns in a matter of seconds, so it waited... until now.

A friend was in a hard way, lost his woman and subsequently was forced to move, got hit by a car on his new to him motorcycle shortly after fighting a previous intermittent ignition problem on another. The guy needed a break, been there myself, so after he moved in and got his feet back under him over the past few months, recently on his birthday I passed him a motorcycle title/project in hopes it would restore some balance to his life and give him something to look forward to.

Expect the updates to roll in soon. He's stoked to get started and already ordered a few things. :rock:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
REP for helping a man in need. It ducks being I that spot you know it so good on you for helping. Just make sure you help and not get taken advantage of. I've had 2-3 people I helped turn into trying to take advantage......... they all ended up living on the beach

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
REP for helping a man in need. It ducks being I that spot you know it so good on you for helping. Just make sure you help and not get taken advantage of. I've had 2-3 people I helped turn into trying to take advantage......... they all ended up living on the beach

I, "was had", recently but it doesn't sour me to keeping on being a good man. Not religious by any measure of the word, but if I do have to answer for my life to anyone or anything at the end it'll likely be alot less to speak of than most people.

New owner ordered a TC Bros rigid kit, and an air bag seat mount. Should be here before the end of the week. Then it's off to get the frame jig finished up, and he'll be hauling the whole deal into a professional welding outfit to have it bonded together via proper tig welds. The final finish and fitment is all up to him, I am only providing the original project and a clean frame and engine.

Juice (new owner, knuckle tattoo's, beard, plays in a headlining band, awesome dude and a hell of a definition of the biker lifestyle!) fell in love with the TC Bro's hardtail kit XS650's and when he saw this pic it was all over with, he had to have something like it. I'm fuckin' stoked to see a rider actually excited about building his own machine by hand. This build hand in hand with the new WBRW-II EvoI HRC taking shape in the shop through the spring is going to keep me wound up and on the front lines of the turbo bike build.

DO WORK

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I love the line that tank has with the frame, freaking perfect...

Subscribed...

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My buddy is super stoked. Parts arrived, a frame was purchased, parts were fitted. :party-smiley:

CURRENTLY it is sporting a Slingshot wheel out back with a 160 and a set of GS1000C conventional fork with far more travel and ride height. Still looks tits in the picture with the little peanut tank. :D

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Been in the process of getting back in the shop since the weather is getting warmer lately. And working on the bikes feels so good, chop included. Should have a mock fitted engine in a week or so here and be able to start on the front end swap in a few days.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts