Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got rid of my R6 to start a project. I made out pretty good on the sale but I'm still looking to keep this build relativity cheap. Been surfing through CL ALOT, a weird amount haha. Keep seeing 500ccs for the cheap, just wondering if anyone would recommend a 500. Ive never ridden anything smaller than 600 and i do alot of highway. Any experience with 500cc would be greatly appreciated, specifically does anyone have experience with the GS500e.

best one i found so far.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/3823286814.html
\
offered him 800 waiting to hear back

Reactions: RatFighter

·
UnicycleMode
7,583 Posts
I've got one, with a pipe and a better filter in the airbox they wake up pretty good. The early 90's models had flat slide CV carbs too so parts area readily available anywhere. If you are used to 600's it will probably feel a bit slow at first but after a little time you will appreciate the full throttle corner exits and the fact the brakes overpower anything the engine can get you into. Not to mention if you don't expect superbike on slicks cornering ability it's a hell of a fun bike in the twisties bits too.

For under $1500 you can't go wrong. I love 500's of almost any sort, mainly a 500 single guy myself but the GS twins outshine the Ninja 500 in every way if you ask me, even the styling is better by a long shot. As a second bike or a commuter it's perfect. As a twisty machine and a quick and dirty fighter project even better, and if you just want a bike you can wear down to nothing and toss in the scrap heap it is perfect. :)

·
The Alpha
167 Posts
If you do a ton of highway, I'm not sure you'd really be happy. Cruising at 80/85 mph at ~8k in 6th gear is no fun.

But like RatFighter said, they're definitely fun bike in the backroads

·
I am a motherfucker
1,867 Posts
If you do a ton of highway, I'm not sure you'd really be happy. Cruising at 80/85 mph at ~8k in 6th gear is no fun.

But like RatFighter said, they're definitely fun bike in the backroads
I don't have any experience with the Suzi 500's, but my Ninja 500 was ok on the highway... a little buzzy maybe, but I never felt like I was going to get run over or anything...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts