Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been rebuilding an 81 gs550l that I have had since I was 17. i swapped out the front forks and rims for those of a 91 gsxr. the swing arm came from a gs750. Everything is working perfectly except the chain alignment. My first thoughts were to use an offset front sprocket then make up any difference by shaving the sprocket carrier on the rear wheel, but unfortunately my clutch mechanism is too bulky for an offset front sprocket. I cant get enough by shaving the carrier alone. any advice?

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
You never said what rear wheel you are using so I cant say for sure if it will fit your setup but the gs500 cush drive is a little narrower. If I remember ill grab comparison picture later today.

·
10,448 Posts
Yes... but the 600 and 750 use a 5 rubber cush and the 1100 uses a 6 rubber cush. Thats why the gs500 cush will only work with a 600 or 750 cush. I think the narrow cush drive that works in a 1100 wheel comes from a gb500.

Heres that comparison picture I said I would get. The gs500 cush saves about 3/4" of room.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see what you are saying now. It's from a 750 so the smaller cush drive would work, I'm worried the chain would hit the tire though. I'll look into it some more to see if I can make it work. Thanks

·
10,448 Posts
A 17x4.5 rf600 wheel (same as bandit 600, katana, 88-89 gsxr 750, and a few others) with a 160 pilot power and the gs500 cush drive puts a 520 chain pretty close to the tire. I would imagine with a 170 tire you would have to space the sprocket off the cush drive a little bit. Would probably still save room compared to the stock cush though.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
49 Posts
A 17x4.5 rf600 wheel (same as bandit 600, katana, 88-89 gsxr 750, and a few others) with a 160 pilot power and the gs500 cush drive puts a 520 chain pretty close to the tire. I would imagine with a 170 tire you would have to space the sprocket off the cush drive a little bit. Would probably still save room compared to the stock cush though.
so a gs500 cush drive works on a 600 katana wheel?do you know the height,by any chance?i need one that is 1 3/4"

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
49 Posts
must be a newer kat.my 88 wheel is a six rubber cush

·
10,448 Posts
so a gs500 cush drive works on a 600 katana wheel?do you know the height,by any chance?i need one that is 1 3/4"
Read the tape measure in the picture I posted above and youll know the height. If one of those wont work as is then you need to either narrow one or make a spacer for the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts