Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup, just started the tear down on my (hopefully) fightered out 750. Progress will be slow because im a poor ass high schooler.

Don't have any before pics because it was just a plain bike with clip ons, ha not all that interesting.

Heres the progress at the end of the day

Theres a frame in there!

Anyways, plans are a CBR F4i front end, with a swingarm swap and monoshock build.

First thing i ran into was the CBR swingarm was way to big. In rough measurmeants its a little under an inch too wide. Hopefully i can shave it down enough it works, otherwise im on the look for a swingarm that fits!

Dirty motor. Probably just going to throw a gasket set at it. I have a F4i motor with the head off but that seems like more work than its worth. Perhaps if i find an early gixxer oil boiler i could shove in there.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally got my front end, still need to do a stem swap but until now the lower triple was bent.

Ill have to figure out what shims i need for the axel, and how it goes together as when i put the wheel on it twisted the forks so the upper triple couldn't go on. It also appears that theres a dent in the wheel, will that be alright?

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Sounds like you had a crashed F4i with a crap motor kicking around and are swapping those parts onto this bike, no? How hard was the cbr crashed? How big is the dent in the wheel? It's more than likely a problem...
The forks are probably bent to hell too, along with the wheel, and the lower triple lol...
Having the finished product ride down the road in a straight line is pretty important and with those F4i parts it doesn't sound like that would happen...

Either way good luck man, subscribed!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
The right fork does kinda look like it's bending in towards the top of it

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's hat I'm starting to realize. I thought the forks were fine, but now that you mention it, it does look bent. I guess ill have to figure it out. Piece together a good f4i front end or just get a whole new front end.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, unfortunatly ended up ditching the plans for the front end and swinger. Just didn't work out with the budget so ive decided to go a slightly cheaper route. Not a fighter so much but thought id still post it.

Put in tapered bearings and rebuilt the forks. I also ended buying some parts off of a friend of mine. Anyways...

Got the engine in class, and started cleaning it up. No plans to open it up.

heres the seat pan and tank

And heres with me on it. I also bought some BMW rearsets that im hopefully going to weld in tomorrow but ill see if i get too it.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Looking really good man!
No shame in using those forks and what not, in the end it's still going to be a blast to ride and it's something that you built...

Seat pan is going to be sweet. If you feel ambitious you can throw a layer of carbon fiber (the real stuff) on that pan real easy. And it doesn't cost that much to do. It's super easy to work with, just a little labor intensive with wet sanding. But the actual layup is tit...

I buy it from these guys, cj composites on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/cjcomposites/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Here is a pic of the pan I did. Just a normal fiber glass seat pan with a two layers of CF over it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I believe it is from a early 90's year. Ill have to measure it if you can't fiind a width online. Send me a zip code and ill get u a ship quote.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Also what other gs parts do you need. I have ome misc doo dads. Look for gs1150 or katana forks if you want to upgrade and not loose your wallet doing it.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I started chopping up one of the duc mufflers tonight, got most of the way done, but forgot my rivet gun.

Mista M was nice enough to send me a zx7 swing arm so i tried to see what it'd need to be put on the bike. The stock swing arm is 8 3/4 inches wide and the zx7 is 9 inches. So, i need to take 1/8 inch off each side. Would it be best to take it off the frame, or can i take it off the swingarm? It appears there are bushings in the swingarm, and i don't necessarily think i should grind that off.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Mista M was nice enough to send me a zx7 swing arm so i tried to see what it'd need to be put on the bike. The stock swing arm is 8 3/4 inches wide and the zx7 is 9 inches. So, i need to take 1/8 inch off each side. Would it be best to take it off the frame, or can i take it off the swingarm? It appears there are bushings in the swingarm, and i don't necessarily think i should grind that off.

Can't really tell for sure from the pics that are posted. But I tend to believe that removing the material from the swingarm and not the frame is a better idea. Post pic's of the swingarm pivot area of your frame and some of the swingarm it's self...
But conventional wisdom is removing 1/8" from the sides of the swingarm will work better...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts