·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Build Start Sunday December 6th 2021
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Bicycle part

Road surface Asphalt Bicycle tire Automotive tire Floor

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust

Stem Bearings ordered from All Balls for about $55, great for peace of mind on a seamless swa
Sewing machine Bicycle part Wood Home appliance Gas

Cut my old “drag bars” in half and shortened them, then drilled a notch in both sides for the outer bolts to break the bars from turning or slipping.

Well, here is the start of my first build. Bike I started with is a 1980 GS850G. Engine, front forks, front brakes, and front axle are all from a first gen Busa (most busa parts from a 2001).
Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

(this is pre-disassembly pic not starting point for build off 😅)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Also minor post but making a to-do list (sorta)

-make spacers to keep swing arm centered
-spacers for front wheel to center GS wheel on Busa axle
-make steering stops
-makes spacers for front rotors so Tokico 6 pots clear spokes
- test fit engine and fab mounts (yep a big one )
-mount make bracket to mount motoscope pro
-figure out air box situation
-make battery/electrical box
-sort out wiring harness/routing etc.

-paint/powder coat
-assembly

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also items purchased so far:
2001 hayabusa engine, ecm, tb’s, (FB Market Place $2600)
1st Gen Hayabusa forks, bars, clutch/brake and throttle (eBay $700)
GS1000 swingarm (eBay $70)
GS1000 chain driven rear wheel (eBay)
GS850 front fender to resize (eBay)
Hayabusa velocity stacks for air box (eBay)
Hayabusa intake boots Incase mine tear when pulled off to paint engine (eBay)

new stuff
Radiator (eBay)
Oil cooler
Water pump
Oil pump
Fuel pump
Fuel Pressure regulator
Starter
Stator
Rectifier
Clutch
Front 17t sprocket
Chain
Clutch & stator covers
Rizoma grips/throttle
MotoGadget mUnit Blue, MotoScope Pro, and wiring kit
Bearings from All Balls for front wheel to hayabusa front axle, rear wheel, and Hayabusa fork/triple to GS
(I’m sure there’s more just drawing a blank at the moment)

and rear sprocket machine locally by Novelty Machinery for 40t hayabusa sprocket on GS1000 rear wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system

started fitting up a bit more seriously. Now I need a bit of advice on how close to the swingarm pivot point my tail end of my engine and sprocket should be, also what kind of lean angle can I put this engine at doing that and keep it from starving for oil. And lastly I need to find some boots to go from the throttle bodies to the engine at a 45° (yes I’m aware it’s probably not as ideal for the atomization of the AFR but I‘VW got a slight space crunch):oops: any help is appreciated! Thanks:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Wood Road surface Line Fender

lower rear engine mount made. Weld is ugly as sin but will be fixed and cleaned up after the motor is dropped back out. Headlight bucket is mounted. Need to verify chain clearance then front engine mounts will be imagined. All in all some good progress today.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Wood

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Well, after more test fitting and fab work I got the battery and ECM box made and fitted, got the fuel pump mount set(made sure the rear master and reservoir clear it). Got the rear motor mounts set so the engine can stay in place without a jig or ratchet straps, and have a good fuel tank with similar mounts on the way to use the mounts from it to fab a fuel tank to accommodate the carbs and an airbox. Also ordered new coil packs because after a mishap with fitting I mashed the top of one, also ordered 1/8” NPT 90° x 5/16” barbed fittings to go to and from fuel pump. Will be working out a Motoscope Pro mount coming up, front engine mounts, FPR mount, and plenty more! Found out the MIG was out of argon (serious rookie moment facepalm) after I get more argon I’ll be making these fit up welds much better. Also got the wheels in to get powder coated(color is “goldtastic”) hope you all enjoy the update:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fuel tank Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design

So I went with my original tank(I decided I didn’t want to form a whole tank) so I just took the sides off and modified the bottom of the tank. Also added tubing channels to let the fuel move back to the back when it gets lower. It’s not pretty yet, but I have plans and I’m pretty optimistic. Besides, once the sides are on and these are covered it will look like a normal tank. Also going to have to get creative with the fuel level sender. With the addition of the humps to accommodate the Airbox I made an obstacle for the natural orientation of the fuel sender.

on another note, finally got my moUnit Blue today. Just waiting on the crimp tool and the Mizu connectors. Then it’ll be game on to start the wiring(Motoscope Pro, mo.Unit Blue, wiring kit for mo.Unit, breakout box B for some of the gauge stuff, and the busa ECM.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Also got my wheels back from powder coat, only to send them back. The hub had powder coat on the outside, inside, and brake rotor seating surface. But that is the color.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
looking great would love to know how you sort out the sender couldn't get my fuel gauge to work with moto gadget pro :(
got the fuel portion to work today. After setting up with the breakout box B there is a config option to set empty and full reading then it references between them to give a mid range value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive design Art Paint Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Light

got all the wiring for the headlight and front/bar end signals done, painted the top clamp and the bars and played with the Motoscope wiring and settings a bit. Gonna rebuild my clutch master tomorrow, get plugs for my tank and start doing a final strip to prep to seal it, then start on the rough external finish of the tank, and more wiring tomorrow!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Car

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

well it made it to work:giggle: I’m gonna try getting it in to the local dealer to hook the scan tool up to it. Currently having an issue where while idling after it gets warmer/closer to operating temp that the fuel pressure starts to drop and kills it. But it runs great while warming up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts