Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at finally doing a street fighter (been promising myself one for 2 years now)

Currently ride a firestorm but looking at either a gsxr750 (pre 1996) or an early fireblade next.

I prefer the looks of the gixxer but I am unsure about what they are like to ride (dont have much chance of testing one soon either

so my question is...
How well do the old gixxers run as an everyday fighter? how well do they wheelie?

would I be better off with a fireblade for hooning about on?

BTW I only have £2000 to spend

Please discuss and I look forward to hearing from you :)

·
addict
370 Posts
you can never go wrong with an old oil boiler as far as im concerned...

ive rode my buddies 900rr and it will certainly do a wheelie but im just not a fan of the ergos on it... the tank seems huge and i just like smaller bikes but with that being said i still want one lol just not as a daily ride... a gsxr 750 oil boiler on the other hand i would love to ride everywhere

·
FNG
68 Posts
you can never go wrong with an old oil boiler as far as im concerned...

ive rode my buddies 900rr and it will certainly do a wheelie but im just not a fan of the ergos on it... the tank seems huge and i just like smaller bikes but with that being said i still want one lol just not as a daily ride... a gsxr 750 oil boiler on the other hand i would love to ride everywhere
+1
but I'll add that I thought the 750 felt weak compared to my 1100 and the 900rr 16" front wheel limits tire selection

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are the later (but still box framed) water cooled gixxers like? they seem a bit more readily accessible to buy!

Either bike id be adding probably +3 to the back sprocket to make it a bit more lively and lower top speed abit so hopefully either bike would be keen to lift the front??? :)

my dad wants a fireblade but likes stock bikes (daft i know!) so part of me wants a blade to fighter just to rub it in his face hehe saying that though i love the old skool suzukis looks

Cheers for the helpz dudes :)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
fireblade no contest. If it's a 919 then it should have 17 front wheel if im not mistaken. Still I would even go with the 898 over a 750. given the option.

If we were talking about an 1100 my opinion would be more split

Water cooled 750 or 1100? definitely rather the blade. BUT water cooled mid 90s gixxers are a dime a dozen compared to a good deal on a blade.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
:doh:

Go with the GSXR for the sake of actually knowing what sort of engine it has. :thumbsup:

History lesson, and me spouting off my opinion as well... ;):

Early blades came with a 893cc engine, it was later redesigned slightly to the capacity of 919cc's, and there was an improvement in the transmission on the 919's if I recall right. As well I honestly think the 919's feel "soft" compared to the early engines. Up to 1996 or '97 they sported a 16" front wheel but it is easily changed to a 17, if you just google it there is plenty of info that I don't need to spew about the swap. BUT, the major draw to the 16" blades was the fact they handle proper that way and it changes the dynamic a considerable amount to swap to the 17, most favor that change but I honestly prefer the 130/16 to the skinny and tall 120/17.

Early model engine from my '93:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
oh yea. 893. I was 5 ccs off.

That totally voids and quells all arguments about which bike the op should go with...

And furthermore I am deeply ashamed of myself for forgetting that it's 893 instead of 898. Please. Take my life.

The improved shift drum came in 1994. The second generation 893 improvements

Also I am so proud of you for having owned one. That I am baking cookies right now in your honor. I wish I could share them with you.

nevertheless I am still confused as to why someone would opt for a carbureted gsxr 750 and not a 900rr. Unless they preferred less power, more weight and inferior chassis.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hehe yer im not an 893 fan it would be the 918 or if i could stretch to it a 929.

The gixxer i like purely on looks (and iv not owned a suzuki yet!) im starting to lean towards the blade more even though a gixxer is still on the cards :p

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
oh yea. 893. I was 5 ccs off.

That totally voids and quells all arguments about which bike the op should go with...

And furthermore I am deeply ashamed of myself for forgetting that it's 893 instead of 898. Please. Take my life.

The improved shift drum came in 1994. The second generation 893 improvements

Also I am so proud of you for having owned one. That I am baking cookies right now in your honor. I wish I could share them with you.

nevertheless I am still confused as to why someone would opt for a carbureted gsxr 750 and not a 900rr. Unless they preferred less power, more weight and inferior chassis.

:wtf:

hehe yer im not an 893 fan it would be the 918 or if i could stretch to it a 929.

The gixxer i like purely on looks (and iv not owned a suzuki yet!) im starting to lean towards the blade more even though a gixxer is still on the cards :p

Just figured out your asking about a model from across the pond.... never heard anyone call a late model blade a 918 here in the states so "early blade" to me always meant up to the change to the 919 engine.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sorry. I was just biting back a tad. When you say "Go with the GSXR for the sake of actually knowing what sort of engine it has.". This implies that you actually recommend the GSXR solely because the OP called the cbr a 918 instead of a 919 or because I called it an 898 instead of 893 so we dont deserve to go near one or something.

Whats the gixxer Its actually a 748 or a 749 or who gives a shit.

One is downright superior to the other.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See im from rainy England and as far as I know we all call it the 918 here :s

Then again i ride a Honda vtr1000f firestorm atm and you all call that a Honda vtr superhawk...either way we all know roughly the fireblade im referring to ;)

Will I need a steering damper if I streetfighter the blade? I found out the hard way a while back that tankslappers are a wee bit nerve-racking!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Some say that drilled triple and a nice wide mx bar or other straight bar is enough leverage to negate the need for a dampener.

I'd say better safe than sorry. try to budget for a dampener either way.

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
^^Adding to that, swapping in a '91 XR250L suspension link lowers the rear 3/4 inch and it helps immensely too with stability.

Front wheel bearings are known to cause instability more often than not, updated head stock bearings are cheap and effective to add some stability above the caged ball style it begins with.

Again with my unsolicited idiot opinion:

Tire pressure is another huge factor in how the 16" wheel CBR's ride, the 130 has a huge shoulder but tends to ride on a rather thin center if you opt for the sportier options out there, lowering your front pressure to 30psi cold instead of say 36psi for example, you will find a bunch more stability as the air pressure is displacing a different profile tire running a 16" up front compared to the low and wide 120 section 17's. Also good to note keeping rear pressures normal to what you prefer and the front lower than you would think would work, tends to work best in my experience.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice man :) already knew about the lower psi but the rest is brilliant :) iv been looking at the gixxer too (mainly because i prefer to box looks as im an old skool lad) because that has slower steering would make it more stable? i know id pick the gixxer everyday if i knew it could 2nd gear wheelie hahaha but its hard work to find that information!

·
UnicycleMode
7,584 Posts
Clutching up a wheelie, a GSXR750 should do them in 2nd gear all day long. Probably not as effortlessly as the 'blade, but it'll do it. If your into standup wheelies I'm unsure there is a limit to what bikes will wheelie if you have the technique down proper. I've proven that quite a few times over the years. :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats all I needed to know :p cheers man!

The blade might be more powerful and lighter and handle better. but a gsxr750 fighter with stock tail is like ultimate muscle bike looks to me so id prefer a bit less speed and handling if I was happy with the looks :) plus if i got bored i could always stick a b12 lump in the frame :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
<< I was in a similar quandary, preferred the frames of the gixers and went for the WC 750 as the oil boilers were too expensive.
Change of bars and gearing and it will do that no probs ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts