Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks thought I would try n get some opinions to help me make up my mind...
1988 gsxr slingshot 750 with a bandit 1200 motor, I will be making my own subframe so that department is fine I just dont know what tail to choose! here are my current ideas/options

Option 1:
Guy Martin style Flat Track tail GSXR...Love how it looks but whenever people will see it, they will see it as a guy martin copy and not MY bike.

option 2:
Use an old GPZ/GSX tail to create a slightly kicked up custom tail to hold me in place for my wheelies, definitely divides opionions but it serves a purpose!

option 3:
Big tail unit (in comparison) like an rgv250 style race tail but not as trick as the other 2

I know that its my bike so I have to decide for myself but just thought I would get a few opinions anyways

·
Registered
123 Posts
I know what you mean about the guy Martin bike but it looks ace and its yours not his
Not a fan of kicked up or big tail really I do like the look of sebspeeds with newer gsxr or R6. Tail

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

·
10,855 Posts
GM wasn't the first and won't be the last to fit a flat track tail to a gsxr , I've a gpz tail plastic here if you want it to try. is that pic a cg125 tail? one of Dodge's bikes? The RS is being used by at least 2 of us on here just now. R6 / R1 style seats are very long on gsxr's with standard arms unless mounted about 6" further forwards by chopping the riders seat. RGV seat, of which I also have one , are very wide and bulky. All comes down to your own personal choice

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about in between option 1 and 3 and try maybe an RS125 tail?
I do actually have an rs tail in the shed atm that I will be mocking up but I think its too modern to fit in plus its been done by a few already although il hold judgement until I have some tabs welded to my frame so i can build a mockup tail

GM wasn't the first and won't be the last to fit a flat track tail to a gsxr , I've a gpz tail plastic here if you want it to try. is that pic a cg125 tail? one of Dodge's bikes? The RS is being used by at least 2 of us on here just now. R6 / R1 style seats are very long on gsxr's with standard arms unless mounted about 6" further forwards by chopping the riders seat. RGV seat, of which I also have one , are very wide and bulky. All comes down to your own personal choice
might take you up on that gpz tail at some point again once iv got some tabs on frame!

it is one of dodges old build with a cg tail yup! the seat makes sense when the rest of the bike is at 45 degrees!

RGV maybe a fall back to run with a fairing if i ever fancy a race rep!

·
V four honda whore
12,426 Posts
Big fat retro tail is the shit. But then again i get to hear that my bikes new tail is too fat. But like seb told, fuck em

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts
What about in between option 1 and 3 and try maybe an RS125 tail?
I don't know about the slab side bikes but the rs125 tail fits perfectly to the tank of the slingshot bikes. I had that tail mocked up on my 91 gsxr750 for a long time before I finally decided to go a different route for a smaller more boxy tail.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know about the slab side bikes but the rs125 tail fits perfectly to the tank of the slingshot bikes. I had that tail mocked up on my 91 gsxr750 for a long time before I finally decided to go a different route for a smaller more boxy tail.
just had a sneaky peak at your old thread and your right the rs tail doe suit well! so does the boxy tail too though...I swear the hardest part of building a bike is deciding what parts you want on it!

·
CAPTAIN AWESOME®
30,269 Posts

Yep

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Option 2 with slightly less rake, looks totally sweet to me, still plenty to hold ya in.

Excuse the door in the mock up lol.
mmm that does look appealing!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so I decided to do a little photoshopping (poor quality in comparison to hrdy)

So i dont have a side profile shot of my gsxr so i just nicked one from here

combined it with the kicked up tail from dodges build and...I love it!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a tall tail
I'm a tall guy...

Tail probably won't be quite that kicked up Tbf and the back half of seat is just padding for wheelies anyway!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts