Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research on a front end swap for my SV650. I'm sniffing around ebay and find a set of forks with all the trimmings for a 03 / 04 GSX-R 1000.

Now, the SV forums say that a set of forks from a 04 /05 GSX-R 600 / 750 will slide right in. I'm looking over the differences between the 600 and the 1000 and there's only a difference of 2 mm in the tripple clamp offset. (600 = 30, 1000 = 32)

Now, I'm guessing that means that the 1000's forks are set forward by two more millimeters then the 600 / 750's.

true?
false?

... and what would this mean to a poor little boy who is looking to do a front end swap?

btw, this is the data sheet that I'm getting my info from:

Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Sympul

·
63 Posts
True! The forks will be set forward by two mm on a 1000. Do you know what the offset is on your SV?
You should check if the 6/7 k4-k5 has the same bearings and bolt size as the 1000 k3-k4.
I have a Haynes manual for theese two bikes, I can see if I find something in there when I get home.

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea what the offset is for the SV. I checked the Haynes manual for the sv, and it didn't have SHIT! Well, it had the fork specs, but not the offset. And the bike is away for the winter, so I'll have to wait to get the measurements, unless I can find them online.

also, the diagram above says that there's 230 mm of travel on the GSX-R forks, and I think there's only 130 mm of travel on the SV stock forks. Does this mean that the GSX-R forks are going to be 'squishier'?

I have some more info to look up, thx Leif!

Sympul

·
Everything is simple...
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
really?

then what's this 'spring rate (kg/mm)/length = 0.85/230' mean?

I thought it meant for every .85 kg's that the spring would travel 1 mm for a total of 230 mm of travel.

... but then I tend to make shit up.

and Sparks! Good to see ya on here. I'm in the process of reading through your build thread here too. (all good info)

Sympul

·
Kapitalist Kunt
887 Posts
Means the spring rate or strength is .85/kg for every 230mm of spring which in spring terms isn't very long since they're probably 2500mm long (or longer) before they're wound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts