Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... Some time ago I started building a cafe racer out of a Honda CB 900 but found out that the bike is a bit heavier then most of the cars around here...

Something lighter was needed. So I went ahead and bought this one:

It's a Ducati Monster 750 1998. Rode it for 500 meters (not sure but it should be 67 yards and 3 gallons for you guys....) and took it apart.
As i got it home it looked like that

Dry-weight of the bike was 178 kilos. About 7 times lighter then the CB but still a bit too much. A lot needed to come off and some new stuff needed adding.
A local hard-ware store supplied me with this stuff

The stuff turned into tank and tail molds.

It might sound like fun and games but getting the shape right is a PITA. Took me weeks to get the shape almost good.

And for those who are wondering - yes, the bike was in my apartment.

Next step was fiberglassing the tank and tail.

I kind of hate fiberglass now..
With the tank and tail fiberglassed I started working on the frame. Shitty looking shit was removed and less shitty looking shit was welded on.

After some sandblasting and powder coating

As the battery was at the end of it's lifetime I needed another one as light as possible. Ballistic 8 Cell was what I needed.

Some witchcraft was involved all of a sudden the bike was a roller

The mufflers are Ebay originals and clip-on's are off a Yamaha YZF750R.

To be continued...

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Threw on the bodywork and took it outside

Less is more... Less paint weigh less.. So the bodywork got only one layer of primer.

This is what it looks like now

So. That's was my little winter project. It's not perfect nor too beautiful but it's safe to say it stands out from other monsters.
The bike lost 32 kilos in total (146 kilos dry).

Now it's up to you to say shit about it.

PS! It is a cafe racer! Proof:

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!
There won't be any big changes coming too soon as it is my daily commuter but I've got some plans. Exhaust looks a bit boring, need to work on that. And maybe.. just maybe get a 1000cc engine in there. Not that it's too slow as is it is but more power hasn't hurt anyone before, has it

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish it would! Fuel mixture is off and it doesn't work that well. It's all good in lower range but with high revs it start acting funny. Loss of power and some backfire. Need to work on that...

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm rockin it every day. Not too much fun on a highway but it's a blast around town or some twisties. love the the weight of the bike...
Hoping to get the fuel mixture right asap so more fun could be unleashed.

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well. the build is starting again. Last year I had it running cone air filters but as I couldn't get the fuel mixture right I'm putting the air box on again. Started chopping it today.
Tomorrow I hope to start making the mould for new fuel tank as well. Not 100% happy with the lines on the last one. New tail will be started soon..

·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the tank started today.

Also.. I'd like to have your opinion on the tank. Should it be like it is on the first picture or should I add a little "lip" to the bottom of that will be hugging the frame like on the picture below. (the masking tape addition)

Hope you get where I'm going with it and let me know what you think.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts