Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Organ Donor
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in need of revamping my headlight setup. I'm running these headlights and for the last several years have ran a set of HID's in them. The cutoff is pretty nice, so I was able to get away with HID's in there without pissing off oncoming drivers. Over the years i've had a lot of issues with bulbs, ballasts and ignitors, and i'm just tired of it and want to switch back to halogen. I found a website that has a good selection of bulbs that are better than your average off the shelf shit at the parts store.

http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html

I cant decide what would be best for night riding. I live in minnesota, and when riding at night up here there's a good risk of plowing into deer or something like a moose.... and i don't feel like dying by moose. So, i need some lights that will help spot wildlife in time to react at 80mph. From the bulbs on that site, I'm not sure if the xtreme vision that claim to put 100% more light on the hotspot to light up further down the road, or if something like the 100/55w bulbs would be best.

Opinions? anyone tried the higher wattage? I've read some reports that higher wattage doesn't necessarily mean better light output.

·
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
30,379 Posts
Are those buckets plastic? Some of those Dominator buckets are metal and some are plastic. Plastic may melt with a higher wattage bulb. Upgrading the wiring from the battery all the way to the bulb would give you a nice boost in output. This can be done through a relay. I use Osram Night Breakers on my SV.

Have you used quality HID stuff or eBay China crap? The quality stuff should last.

·
Organ Donor
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my headlights are metal/glass, and these aren't the dominator headlights. i believe those are a different brand entirely. I was already planning on upgrading the wiring setup, a relay for low beams and a relay for high beams.

·
Organ Donor
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone? need to make a purchase soon

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
hey Joe' I run dominaters' on me zx9 (not much night riding tho fer me)I tried some of them high watage bulbs ~ tha light was pretty good but jeez mate they run hotter than hell ! after tha lamp was on fer not more than a few minites no way could I hold me hand on em'

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can get H4 led globes now, with high and low beam.
Never used them, but lots of guys on the fz09 forum like them.

·
Organ Donor
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Project complete. HID setup gutted, re-wired everything with heavy gauge wire, relays, and gold plated terminals directly to the bulbs, no shitty bulb connectors. Tossed in some bulbs I had laying around from years ago, realized I wasn't going to have time to order bulbs before my trip this weekend. Traveling to see a girl I met, and like a 14 hour day Friday is going to stop my stubborn ass from leaving at 11pm for a 4 hour ride so I can spend every minute possible this weekend with her.

I'm not sold on the higher wattage bulbs. Reason says technology of hotspot bulbs over brute force more power will win. I checked out the LED h4's but I'm not convinced those are the answer either. Probably going to order the night breakers.

Picture: I had to shine up the front fender, rest of the bike hasn't been washed in 2 years. I'd rather ride than spend any time shining

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts