Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Procrastinator
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my long term 'hack' bike is getting a new lease of life, although it probably isn't going to be too happy about it...

After I sold my CCM Supermoto when I was made redundant when Streetfighters magazine folded, I needed a cheap ride, so bought a damaged repairable SV650 for 600 quid. It got used and abused for the following four years, with just oil changes, tyres and a set of Fatbars fitted in place of the standard clip-ons, the fairing trimmed and some heated grips fitted.

But last Autumn I decided that it was high time that I did something interesting, so the SV is getting some treatment, and being prepped as a track bike, for track days, Minitwins racing and hopefully some tarmac hillclimbs too.
So far, the bodywork is off, the standard can is off, some race rearsets have been fitted and a Honda Hornet race nosecone lined up for the pointy end.
Pics soon.

·
Administrator
50,493 Posts
cosy shop you have there . Looks like a great place to hangout and work.

·
Procrastinator
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's far better now Robbo, with the walls all painted, electrics in, carpet on the floor, racking up, stereo plumbed in, even a telly to play TT DVDs... Only need to finish the wood burner to make it a bit more cosy, and get a steel top for the work table...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Put your phone under your pillow at night with a voice recording on repeat... 1 up 5 down - 1 up 5 down - 1 up 5 down - 1 up 5 down - 1 up 5 down - 1 up 5 down...……………………………………………………………… :yeeha:

Reactions: MDM

·
V four honda whore
12,291 Posts
It has indeed Yan - all over the UK, to the TT three times (I think), and only problem it's given me has been turning into a 325cc vee single on the way back from the Bulldog Bash in pissing rain one year.
They do that during rain

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
from the factory the shift knuckle on SVs points up, so if you flip it up vs down how it is now it'll be normal shift

there are occasionally problems with crashes pushing the shaft in and breaking the case with it pointed down, too. https://www.brgracing.com/collections/motorcycles/products/suzukisv650reverseshiftkit some places have made special parts to get around that. not all that common, but it happens at times.

·
Procrastinator
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Junkie, I was happy to get used to the race shift, but the crash damage issue might persuade me to go back to a standard shift. I'd initially fitted it all as standard, for a normal shift, but there was clearance issues that I couldn't sort as the bike was squeezed in between my bike lift and the wall, and I couldn't really see what I was doing... But now I have a bit more space. ;-)

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
If you want to run reverse shift I'd recommend weakening the knuckle. I forget exactly what people do but they'll remove some material from the knuckle, so in a crash it just snaps the end off instead of damaging internals. Way cheaper than the BRG kit.

·
1,533 Posts
you want to join the sv group on fb, tight knit group, and my buddy Sergei knows almost everythifng there is to know about them. I am continuing to pick stuff up as I get more and more of them. He parts them out, and I supply about half of his bikes, so always parts available. restoring another one right now. if you have clearance with the frame, washers underneath rearset. just pulled some nice svparts.com rearsets to throw some functional by mildly tweaked stock foot controls, and this was required on the shifter side.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There is a small (like 3mm ish) drain hole for the sparkplug well a little ways down the head. It always gets plugged up so run a wire through it or something.

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
you want to join the sv group on fb, tight knit group, and my buddy Sergei knows almost everythifng there is to know about them. I am continuing to pick stuff up as I get more and more of them. He parts them out, and I supply about half of his bikes, so always parts available. restoring another one right now. if you have clearance with the frame, washers underneath rearset. just pulled some nice svparts.com rearsets to throw some functional by mildly tweaked stock foot controls, and this was required on the shifter side.
what group? and I didn't know you supplied him with bikes, I've bought a few things from him. https://mad8v.com

1 - 20 of 179 Posts