Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
So, having made a cardboard template I cut a sheet of 2mm loominum to shape, and placed it to position the mounting holes to match with the lower rad mount on the front cylinder head, and the rear mount within the upper engine mount spacer. the spacer had to be cut and sized to suit, but then the sheet was bent to make the battery box.
It was drilled to be able to mount the reg/rec and the starter solenoid, and then I made a pitiful attempt at TIGging the folded edges together, I'm not going to show any pics of the end result as it is, frankly, horrific...

Attachments

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
would look cooler if you picked up a dimple die set and gave it some speed holes :)

Reactions: MDM

·
re-tarded
1,283 Posts
dimpled holes typically increase rigidity, which is generally more important than strength

I bet you could put a couple holes/dimples in the floor of the battery section itself, close to as large as the floor, with no problems. then a few in the large area too.

Reactions: MDM

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
I've not got access to a dimple die (yet, been meaning to get a couple for a while), and the floor of the box will have the reg/rec mounted under it, but I may return to this version of the battery box at some point in the future anyway, as I'm not especially happy with my handiwork...
But, for now, it is painted and about to be mounted!

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
The battery box, and battery, in place, with some wiring that needs tidying up, which has been subsequently done... the reg/rec is mounted on the underside, and the starter solenoid to the front of the battery.

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Working from home now, thanks to corona lock-down, so planning to get into the garage on a more regular basis, but still having to do work as well...
Got the aftermarket fibreglass mudguard painted to match the nose cone and tail unit, but wasn't happy with the way that it fitted, and actually prefer the look of the standard one, so will probably refit that... also, started messing about with the bellypan as well, trying to get some decent mounts sorted. It'll probably get moved a little more to the rear than shown here, and cut down a bit more too.#

Attachments

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Managed to shuffle some stuff around so that I could get some space to work on another project, and rolled the SV outside for a proper look at the bellypan and then profile it around engine cases.
While it has got the stance of a dog with worms, that's partly down to the baggy-saggy rear shock (still the standard one, due to be replaced when I get the dosh), partly because it's before I dropped the yokes over the fork legs (front now 10mm lower) and partly due to the way the bellypan fitted (as high as possible).

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
The battery box, and battery, in place, with some wiring that needs tidying up, which has been subsequently done... the reg/rec is mounted on the underside, and the starter solenoid to the front of the battery.
Looks neat! Just wondering about the heat from the engine and exhaust?

·
Procrastinator
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Yep, as Yan said, it's common for MiniTwin race SVs to have the battery mounted forward like that.
Aside from filling the no-longer-required holes in the bellypan, and fixing the crack in it, then painting it (maybe, might just get stickered) and then attaching the 'case saver' engine covers (on clutch and ignition covers), it's going to get parked in the corner for a bit, while I save up the dosh for a decent rear shock and wait for the race season to actually start, if it ever will in 2020...

141 - 160 of 179 Posts