Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I live no where near any trails and keep my CRF 100 at my house so I just use a few abandoned (paved) lots, some yards, the road and a few very lightly wooded areas connecting the above places. So... it's not really used for off-roading like it was before, so I decided to have some fun with it...

I took out the spark arrester and made it louder, nicer sounding, and made it breathe a little better in the process, then took it for a little ride. The throttle response is definitely improved and the mid-high range is much more lively now. Oh yea, and it doesn't sound as much like a lawnmower anymore.

Then I took off the ugly front plastics and the number plate on the front, and liked the way it was starting to look.

I couldn't help but notice how ugly that bright red Honda plastic is is... So I took off the front fender and the tailpiece, and took off the white side plastics as well.

I then proceeded to cut the tailpiece shorter and the cut the front fender shorter and skinnier in the front section.

Right now, they are all soaking to get nice and clean...

cuz tomorrow I'm going to scuff them up a little bit, and then paint them all flat black! :metal:

The only thing I'm not sure about yet, is the seat. It's half black and half red. I also don't like how high it is. I know that sounds funny since its a CRF 100 and I'm 6'4" tall, but I don't sit down that often, and sometimes the seat gets in the way when I'm making really tight slow corners and lean the bike way over.

So... If I get the balls to do it... I may rip off the seat vinyl and cut the foam down a bunch into a really short seat. I was looking at how it mounts, and I may be able to mount it slightly lower to to get me a little more room.

I will put up some pics when I finish the paint and put it back together. For now, the seat is something I'm thinking about, most likely a project for this winter.

:pwas:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
i would look on ebay for hacked up plastics and save the stock ones....seats too..find a ripped one...you can get good money for the stock stuff in good condition....that paint will come off too...but if you aint got the funds to buy spare parts ya gotta do whatcya gotta do :)

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was really more for the fun of it than anything else. The plastics are already all cut up just how I want them and cleaned up. I just got some sandpaper to scuff up the plastic really well before I paint them. I also got some flat black Rustoleum brand high heat protective enamel grill paint to use. I'm definitely not expecting a masterpiece, but I just wanted to change the look of the bike a little bit and get rid of some extra junk on it.

No, the paint won't last forever, but I think if I scuff it up well and do a lot of very thin coats, it should do alright. This paint is very severe, and handles heat up to 1200 degrees F. I figured this was a good idea as I'm painting the plastic that goes over the exhaust.

And... if it ever stops raining I could actually do it! LOL! Luckily for my girlfriend I'm too afraid the fumes would kill all my fish if I did it in the house... :LolLolLolLol:

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... I spent the past few hours sanding away... all the plastics are nice and scuffed up and ready for paint...

Question:

What do you guys use to mask off the mounting holes? I thought of just rolling up some paper towels and stuffing it into the hole, but I think it would seep into the paper towel and get stuck there... any ideas?

·
(cheers smiley goes here)
4,286 Posts
:ttiwwop:

The mounting holes in the plastics or in the forks and frame ??
A realy small piece of masking tape ????? Dunno
Lets see the progress :party-smiley:

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, right now... I have a stripped down CRF sitting in a shed and a big bucket full of sanded and cleaned plastics... not much of a Kodak moment...

BUT... it's supposed to be nice out tomorrow so I can start painting. I plan to do a LOT of very light coats so it's going to take a while, but hopefully I'll have it all back together this weekend and I'll get some pics of it and put them up.

For the mounting holes, I just mean on the plastic, I'm not painting anything except plastics.... right now.... (sinister laugh here)

On a side note:

I had heard to take out the spark arrester and that would make it faster and sound better

I thought, "Does it sound better or just louder? I'm not into making the loudest machine you can, I just want a nice sounding, well performing machine. So I never did it... until yesterday when boredom set in.

HOLY CRAP!!! I wish I did this before! Yes, it's definitely much louder, BUT... it also sounds better, it lost a lot of that lawnmower sound it had before. Also, my bike has NEVER wanted to start easily, it's always been a bitch to kick over, and it bogs down a lot in lower rpms. We messed around with the idle and it seemed like it was all set, and would start after just a few kicks, and only bogged down in really low rpms. Well, after the exhuast mod, it started up (and still does) on the first kick. It NEVER bogs down, the midrange and high rpms got a huge kick in the ass, and I found myself slamming the rev limiter all the time for the first 20 minutes of riding, trying to get used to it. It seriously feels like a whole new bike now!

Then I ripped all the plastics off... but I still wanted to ride some more... so I rode with no plastics and no seat!!!! :rock:

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
spyder said:
I wouldnt cut so much off the front fender and Id leave on the shrouds
The fender is already cut, but looking at the pic again, I think cut too much off in Photoshop rather that in real life. (I think.... hehe)

Why would you leave the shrouds on? I won't be riding this thing off road, in the rain, mud, or anything like that, so nothing's gonna be kicking up really. It looks funny in the photoshop I did, but looks better in real life.

It's looking pretty nice out today, so I'm going to start painting all the shite. :rock: I doubt I'll have any pics today though, I'm gonna paint the backsides of everything first...

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, I got a few light coats on, sanded, put on another coat and sanded that and I'm starting to get a smooth finish. I scuffed them up a TON before painting to make sure it all sticks well, so I was planning on doing tons of coats and tons of sanding to get it nice and smooth. I'm guessing another 4-5 coats with sanding in between should be enough, but I'll probably go for 6 or 7 more coats just for the heck of it. I also drilled some small holes in the top of the airbox to let some for air through, so we'll see how that does...

·
Abministrator
10,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Radioaktiv said:
you're almost forcing me to get a small DB

love it
I have SOOOO much fun around my neighborhood on this thing, it's just ridiculous.

50's are too small for me, I'm 6'4", but 250s and the like are all too big to do stupid shit around the neighborhood with, so this thing is just right! :rock:

·
fighter transplant in NC
14,319 Posts
dude thats cool. I try to stay away from bikes like that. they bring the little kid in me out a bit too much

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,634 Posts
ab420 said:
I put the hacked up airbox cover back on and took it for a rip (minus the plastics and seat), and it definitely seems to enjoy the increased air flow.

that fuckin rules! haha. same mod we did to my jettas (mk3) swissh cheeZ the airbox!

:metal:

Radioaktiv said:
you're almost forcing me to get a small DB
tell me about it. ive been looking for a mini- semi mini db. im thinkin 150crf

1 - 20 of 35 Posts