Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my bike for a month or two now, and up until now, have been doing really well. I had only dropped it once on my second day because I was backing up and stepped into a hole and lost balance, but that's another story.

Thursday, around 7:30ish, I was cruising some back roads around my house. These are all dirt/gravel/chunks of asphalt roads that I've ridden up and down a million times. I've gotten pretty good at these types of roads because it's what I learned to first ride on. It was just starting to become dusk, so I decided to ride on back home. I was cruising along, jamming out to some Bad Company, at about 30-35mph, when I spotted 4 big doe on the right side of the road. I downshifted into first and slowed to about 20mph and was getting ready for the worst. As soon as I got even with them all, one doe decided to play chicken with me, and I lost. She ran out in front and I tried to use my front brake to stop without locking it up. I ended up locking up the brake and lowsiding along the road. Sat there for a moment, then stood up and picked my bike up. First thing I noticed was the scrapes all over my bike, the dented tank, bent shift lever, and my transfer case (I think thats what it is) with a chunk missing, and all my oil in the road 30 feet behind me.

I had on all my gear: Scorpion Exo-400 helmet, Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket, and Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 gloves. They all did very well, and I kept my head up as to not ruin my helmet. However, the jeans I had on ripped pretty good. I got a nice bloody knee and some scrapes on my legs and wrist. The pain slowly kicked in and got worse. Got my knee x-rayed and thankfully no broken bones, most likely torn ligaments though. My left knee is twice as big as my right, and I can barely tell where my thigh ends and my knee begins. Might be some nerve damage, because half of my knee is numb to the touch. lol Crutches and pain meds for about 6 weeks. Yay. :doh:

As soon as my knee gets better, I get to throw money at my bike and see if it fixes it. If anyone knows where I could get these replacement parts, I would be very grateful. :shockerknucks:

Heres a photo album, cause I know you bastards love pictures! http://imgur.com/a/X3aa4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn. Glad to see you're all right for the most part. Did the frame smash your knee? Cause that thing is huuuggee!!
Yeah it did! If you look at the photo of the oil in the road, I went down about where that mailbox is, and the bike stopped at the puddle. Initially, the bike landed on my leg but as we slid together, I come out from under it.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Crashing sucks!! Get well soon.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
shitty to hear. get well soon. and post up the year, make, and model of your bike. im sure someone here can help find parts online

Reactions: oldrider

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
damm ya gotta BIGKNEE there mate ! Looks like yous bust throuh tha stator cover,easy enuff fix tho .Sorry that ya took tha downward drop fer sure get well fast ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike is a 2006 Ninja 650R.

I plan on fixing everything that I can myself. My only worry is the tank right now. Do you think the dent is pullable? Any idea how to fix it? Someone told me to just fill it with body filler and repaint it. I'm most likely gonna repaint the whole bike.

·
The Hell You Say!!
2,956 Posts
They make a dent puller kit that involves type of hot glue that is made for this application. I think it comes with studs that you glue to the tank and you can use a slide hammer attached to some vice grips to pop the dent out. You will have to do it a little at a time to avoid warping the tank too much.

I would definitely not try to fill that dent with body filler...that thing is huge and wouldn't hold up over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I really don't wanna use any body filler on it. Do you know the name of that dent pull kit or where I might could buy it?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay.

I have used body filler on my tank. The dent was similar to yours and it has held fine for 2+ years. Although I'm not suggesting this is the best way especially if you have other means.

Props for riding roads like that too. My friends refuse or bitch like crazy any time I take them on a road that isn't perfect.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
Ron Ayers having a sale:

14031-0058 COVER-GENERATOR
$92.09 $67.23 ends 10/31/2013
11061-0165 "GASKET,GENERATOR COVE"
$8.76 $6.39 ends 10/31/2013
http://www.ronayers.com/Engine-Covers-C368440.aspx

That should get the thing running, if the tank doesn't leak.
Looks like a bent shifter, you can attempt to straighten but I prefer new:

13156-0072 LEVER-CHANGE,PEDAL
$40.51 $29.57 ends 10/31/2013
For 3 bucks a new rubber boot is worth it
92161-1300 "DAMPER,CHANGE LEVER"
$4.20 $3.07 ends 10/31/2013
http://www.ronayers.com/Gear-Change-Mechanism-C368456.aspx

Bars may be bent, you can get your choice of aftermarket bars or order direct replacements

46003-0093-458 HANDLE,P.SILVER
$99.78 $72.84 ends 10/31/2013
http://www.ronayers.com/Handlebar-C368458.aspx

Fuel tanks are pricey, but you may find a used one.
I doubt very much you'll even move that dent with a puller, I've tried on lesser dents and failed, especially with it on a peak like that. It will take metal work to fix that, a replacement tank is your best bet.
Hope this helps, also I wear these, might have saved you a lot of misery:

http://www.compacc.com/p/Joe-Rocket...scplp2765092&gclid=CNizuqXPrbkCFU1k7Aod4UsAMQ

Reactions: oldrider

·
hate us cuz they ainus
1,827 Posts
I doubt very much you'll even move that dent with a puller, I've tried on lesser dents and failed, especially with it on a peak like that. It will take metal work to fix that, a replacement tank is your best bet.

+1

or fill it with kitty hair then glaze over that with mud and a little putty coat cuz lets face it, this probably wont be the last time you go down.... not wishing it on you, just facing the facts.

·
The Glistening Turd
2,983 Posts
Ebay would be your best bet for parts, but glad ya ok and healing.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bondo'd the dent in my tank when I got it. As with any bodywork, prep is everything. Nobody can tell where the tank was repaired now, honestly not even me, the bike was repainted afterward. Case covers can usually be found on ebay for fairly cheap, or if you have access to one, TIG welding can repair them.

Something I learned from riding dirt before I ever got on a street bike...dress to crash, because riding dirt especially when you're learning and a speed freak, is going to happen....a lot. Wearing the right gear is just common sense. Do you want to dust yourself off any keep riding, or ride the meat wagon to the hospital?

Street riders that have never ridden off road tend to have a lot of the "it won't happen to me" attitude toward crashing, because it just doesn't happen very often. People love to make excuses to themselves why they won't crash....I'm a great rider, I've never had a crash, I don't speed or stunt, ect. Putting on gear is admitting that there's a chance...remote as it may be...that you will crash on this ride. People don't like to think about crashing and take the "head in the sand" approach to it...pretend it just won't happen.

According to the MSF the knees/lower legs are the most common injury in MC crashes and also the least likely to be protected. I wear mountain bike knee/shin pads under jeans. I gave up on riding pants since I can't find any that fit my short ass. Even hemming the legs they're baggy as shit. They take 30 seconds to put on, are virtually invisible under jeans, and are not uncomfortable at all. I forget I'm wearing them. I lowsided my vmax in a similar fashion to what you posted...and the plastic over my right knee had a big flat spot sanded into it. My knee was slightly sore from the impact but otherwise uninjured. I'm sure it would have been broken and nasty rash if I hadn't been wearing them.

As for rash, find a medical supply/home care store and get this stuff called DuoDerm. Regular pharmacies don't carry it. It's patches covered in magic healing goo. Massively speeds up healing. It's pretty expensive, I paid $30 for 10 patches, but definitely worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts