Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Or Not!

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
dirtywrecker
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i go with dirtbike bars i have some acerbis wrap around handguards i could use. What are you opinion about handgaurds for street use. The benefits i could see is no levers broke if stuff goes down and better wind protection on the hands for cold weather, as if that happens here ever.

·
Registered
854 Posts
JMO but I think that handguards make a bike's front end look goofy as shit. HOWEVER, from everyone I've talked to that uses them, they offer a high level of function. Most have commented to me on improved weather protection. If you need that function go for it, but if its aesthetics you're after as priority no.1 I say nay.

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same thing with mine. The big fat ones that wrap around and connect at the bar end.

·
890 Posts
I was thinking about using them on my ZX9 but when I went to my local bike shop / breakers to get some options he showed me a write-off TTR600 that he had just got in. The guy had hit a car, got thown over the front but got his right arm caught between the throttle and the guard - which busted his forearm and almost ripped it right off.

No thanks......

·
Death or Glory
621 Posts
Had a buddy have a similar thing happen with just his levers, not as severe of injuries though. I was planning on mounting mine right in front of the levers, so if it's going to happen, it'll happen regardless.

·
890 Posts
Had a buddy have a similar thing happen with just his levers, not as severe of injuries though. I was planning on mounting mine right in front of the levers, so if it's going to happen, it'll happen regardless.
At least your levers aren't closed in like the guards are. And with span adjustable levers they'll push out instead of busting your arms.

Anyway, it's your call.

And just personally I like the way they look on some fighters - but for me it ain't worth the risk.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
i got a set waiting to be mounted on the 929.... i think they look badass for the most part!

cant wait to see how they look.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
If you just want some weather protection just get some Buell Ulysses or Suzuki Vstrom ones. They're plastic and do not have the aluminum piece like the acerbis or similar. At least this way you won't rip your arm off. They'll just break off.

·
dirtywrecker
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brush?
Well you never know when some off roading through a park or hedge could save my ass?
I just thought that they would look kinda cool on some dirty bars and that they would add some hand protection (in light of the fact that i alwaays wear gloves) in case of debris and crap on the road.
The ducati ones are nice, and i agree, small fortune probably.

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,691 Posts
They look cool on the Duc new motard.
thats what im trying to get for my project!!!

somewhat unobtanium. endo's working on it for me since he works for duc.

i asked a guy to sell me his off his bike at the track last weekend. he didnt like that idea. haha.

:wtf:

i got some acerbis' without the bar that mounts in your barends. just one mount on the bars. but since i've been wanting these Duc ones, i havent installed em yet.

·
dirtywrecker
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
929_adam, if you get those please show me the way, im also interested as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts