Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The holy roman empire was neither holy, nor roman, nor an empire... Discuss.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Handsome Matt's 1981 GL500 - "Gojira!"

I want one of those Hondas with the longitudinal(? right term for the layout?) vtwin... mainly because I cant afford the Guzzi v7... :p
That's the right term. They go for pretty cheap around here because nobody wants them.

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts

I've definitely got a café "Plastic Maggot" build on my to do list so i'll be watching this like a hawk!

Good luck with the Ebay listings, I need to get some of my VTR stuff on there and scrape back some money, it's all been out-lay on a paycheck-by-paycheck basis so far. I think I've got an ABS goldmine to dig into! Get well soon........, and DW!

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Scored some wire rims off of the most convoluted ebay search I've ever done. Photo updates soon.

Now who knows how to size and order custom spokes? :doh:

·
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdx&#4
3,516 Posts

I've used this excel sheet to figure out the spoke lengths for all the bicycle wheels I built, no reason it wouldn't work for motorcycle wheels (assuming you know what numbers to enter where).
http://sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm

This one looks even a little better, automatically figures out some of the stuff (like spoke elongation) that I figured out by hand when using spocalc. You can build a wheel without that info, but it comes in handy when trying to build one that is the strongest and / or lightest it can be (and probably more of a concern with bicycles than motorcycle).
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/spokes/spoke_length_calculator.html

As to ordering motorcycle spokes ... nope, never done that. Bicycle spokes can easily be ordered from catalog by length and thickness, typically in 2mm intervals, but the motorcycle spokes I've seen sold just went by model of bike they were used on. These guys seem to be in the business of providing custom spoke sets, and would almost certainly be able to figure out the length you need if given measurements.
http://www.buchananspokes.net/

If you want the wheels to last, buy stainless spokes (double butted if possible), and go as THIN as you can get away with. You WANT the spokes to elongate a fair amount, because a wire spoke wheel is a pre-stressed tensile structure, and can only safely deform up to the limit of the build in spoke elongation. At least, that's what I've gathered and personally experienced in researching & building bicycle wheels. Stainless has great fatigue properties, in addition to not corroding, so holds up the best in such a build. Of course, the guys above will probably tell you all that (or whatever the actual facts instead of shade tree theory are).

EIDT - Just read your build thread. Cracked head tube eh? Well, at least I'm not alone in risking pain and injury on a home built death toy of dubious metalurgical provenance.

·
lb/hp is what it's about!
10,448 Posts

I've heard you can also contact buchanans with what hub you are using (xs650 front hub for example) and what size rim and they will figure it out for free.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks guys for the advice., I had seen Buchanans website before. Hopefully since my spokes will be relatively short they'll give me a price break. But I guess wheels are not one of those things a person should really skimp on price.

EIDT - Just read your build thread. Cracked head tube eh? Well, at least I'm not alone in risking pain and injury on a home built death toy of dubious metalurgical provenance.
Death or glory or nothing doing!

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Had to put in some more work on the house over the last few weeks. A fully functional bathroom trumps a working motorcycle most days. Not all of them, but most.

Looking for a 17" wire rim, 40 spoke, preferably 2.5" in width. If anybody has any old dirtbike rear rims laying around, I'd be interested!
I'm way late on this, but SOHC CB750 Honda's used 40 spoke rims 69-78. The 77 & 78 K models were available with a 17'' rear rim. IIRC it is a either a 2.15'' or a 2.5''. I'm not sure. I maaaay have one,I'd have to look. Just thought it might give you another option for your shopping. Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm way late on this, but SOHC CB750 Honda's used 40 spoke rims 69-78. The 77 & 78 K models were available with a 17'' rear rim. IIRC it is a either a 2.15'' or a 2.5''. I'm not sure. I maaaay have one,I'd have to look. Just thought it might give you another option for your shopping. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I was able to find something that will work out.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
That it does, I sooo wanted to hack the frame off mine when I got it....it just clogged up the looks department something awful

·
Administrator
5,256 Posts
I have been wanting to do something in British Racing Green for a while, and something about using the beat up, sun bleached yellow of the tank as a racing stripe (a la Classified Moto) seems really REALLY appealing.

British Racing Green and Yellow:

Gets my vote.

Would somebody please talk me out of the idea of making my own gas tank?
Nope.

·
Legit goon
1,466 Posts
Good weekend overall, updates will be coming soon. Here's a hint:

it rhymes with "schmeering shmem schmop"
Screwing some shmut? :confused:

No need to update us on everything

1 - 20 of 35 Posts