696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the discussion begin!

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man!! A sentimental one!
I have a feeling I'll be the guy who's willing to throw 20k away on restoring a bike when there's no rational/sane way to justify it.

good to see you back in the ring mate
we had to do the starter clutch on an 88 600 ninja but didnt have to split the cases
It's going to be pretty hard competing against a house! When it broke, it gave me a reason to check the motor out, which I'm glad I did, because damn. It was a time bomb.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Let me know how that tig works for ya. Ive heard nothing but good about it and have been thinking about picking one up myself.

and BTW if you have not actually ordered the welder yet make sure that you get the new 2015 version from whoever you order it from because they have added AC frequency control which is a big plus when welding aluminum.

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me know how that tig works for ya. Ive heard nothing but good about it and have been thinking about picking one up myself.

and BTW if you have not actually ordered the welder yet make sure that you get the new 2015 version from whoever you order it from because they have added AC frequency control which is a big plus when welding aluminum.
Aw man, I already ordered it, but I did get a pretty good discount on it, so I really can't complain.

2 things I learned the hard way with TIG: make your joints a super tight fit and CLEAN the joints.
That's just good welding advice period!

I read the mototune stuff years ago and I'm excited to see someone playing with it. Looking like a super clean job dude.
Thanks! I'll be anxious to see how it stacks up on the dyno It's been so long since I had a leg over this bike I can't even give a seat of the pants guess on how it behaves.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Hey man, wondering how that tig welder is working out for you. Pretty descent machine?

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey man, wondering how that tig welder is working out for you. Pretty descent machine?
I should say that the first and only time I've ever used a TIG welder I suffered a nasty shock and was told after the fact "oh yeah, there's a crack in the handle. Watch out."

With that being said, I've been impressed with it thus far. For having no idea what I'm doing, it seems very easy to get into.

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
Hell yeah man, frame bracing is turning out great!

I'm real interested in the golf balling on the head and it's effects.

There was an episode of myth busters about increasing MPG on a car. They ended up covering a car in clay and making large golf ball divots all over it. The theory being there would be less drag, just like how they work on a golf ball.

And I'll be damned but it actually worked! It's the first time I've seen it done on a head, but I'm like, "Man that makes a lot of sense."

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hell yeah man, frame bracing is turning out great!

I'm real interested in the golf balling on the head and it's effects.

There was an episode of myth busters about increasing MPG on a car. They ended up covering a car in clay and making large golf ball divots all over it. The theory being there would be less drag, just like how they work on a golf ball.

And I'll be damned but it actually worked! It's the first time I've seen it done on a head, but I'm like, "Man that makes a lot of sense."
Thanks! I had the same thing happen when my friend was telling about doing it to his race motors. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
Hey now we are more than a week past from xr100 racing.... Where's the work progress?! We got some riding to do this summer!

·
Just Here For The Party
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weird. It doesn't look like it took much work at all the get that bimmer tank top and the zx tank bottom to "line up". Is that you making it look easy or was it luck? :p
Luck, mostly. I can cut a relatively straight line with a cut-off wheel, but the fact that the two pieces lined up so cleanly was luck.

EDIT:

I owe you a rep.

·
Yut-Ughhh
1,651 Posts
If it helps you at all and if it's all possible for you you're more than welcome to make trip up to my garage again and use my tig welder all you want. I've got a big tank full of 100% argon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts