Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Frosty Rider
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to chop my seat /subframe to a solo configuration, but i'd still like to be able to ride 2 up (girlfriend likes to ride). has anyone tried to build an interchangable subframe? I figure either have a removable 2up seat, or make two different subframes that could be quick disconnected at the frame.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Someone on her was talking about that not to long ago. Anything is possible. If you made up quick wire disconnects for tail lights and signals and have your electronics easily removable it would be fairly simple. Go for it.

·
407 Posts
have you looked at how much junk is in your subframe? battery, relays, ecu, fuses, wiring, tail lights, turn signals, all sorts of crap. Even if you had 2 subframes, making a swap anything remotely resembling a "quick disconnect" is wishful thinking.

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Dude, it wouldn't be that bad. It's not going to be a 5 minute job. But if it's done right you could do it in about 15 minutes if you had two subs completely set up with separate lighting and signals.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Vcook said:
have you looked at how much junk is in your subframe? battery, relays, ecu, fuses, wiring, tail lights, turn signals, all sorts of crap. Even if you had 2 subframes, making a swap anything remotely resembling a "quick disconnect" is wishful thinking.
???? Just let him try instead of pretty much telling him its impossible.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, I just posted that up last week. If you had tabs welded to the actual frame, you could swap tails.

After having givin it some thought, If you created a box for your electronics that mounted on the frame in between the spars that was a permanent part you could swap as many as you wanted!!!

I have the conceptual plan in my head, but have yet the time to get around to making it reality..

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,755 Posts
cut the sub like mine:

then make an attachable sub-subframe. put all the electronics in the main one and just have the s.sub.frame be detachable. 4 bolts?couple brackets??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes and the added weight due to leverage on the original mounting points of the frame, would feasibly limit the overall weight of said passenger!!!

ie... NO FAT CHICKS!!!!

·
Eff Tee Pee
29,755 Posts
Motorgasm73 said:
Yes and the added weight due to leverage on the original mounting points of the frame, would feasibly limit the overall weight of said passenger!!!

ie... NO FAT CHICKS!!!!

well i just assumed that everyone knew that rule from the fighterisms hand book.

:nuts:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I like that idea, factoring in the additional weight of the said passenger, compared to the additional stress on the mounting points to the original frame, you would have to limit the second seat capacity....

ie.... NO FAT CHICKS!!!

·
407 Posts
drunkNun said:
???? Just let him try instead of pretty much telling him its impossible.

I'm just trying to make him aware of the pitfalls. Riding season is upon us, I'd hate to see him chop up his bike and be without while everyone else is out doing the hooligan thing. Projects of this magnitude are best hammered out in the cold months when the mind wanders. ;)

·
Function IS Form
19 Z900, 88 Kat11
17,434 Posts
That's a good point. Unless you have an extra subframe to fuck around with, the beginning of spring is a pretty bad time to start cutting things apart!

·
GURU
4,412 Posts
Adam's idea is the easiest. But there is NO way I would trust that for a passenger. I don't care how much they weighed. The best bet would be to have two subs, all electronics in a box (like said above) to make it easily swapable and each sub have it's own tail light/signals seats etc. If it's done correctly you could swap it out in 15 minutes. It's a lot more work but you won't have to worry about your passenger falling off.

·
The Gear Head
803 Posts
trav72 said:
Adam's idea is the easiest. But there is NO way I would trust that for a passenger. I don't care how much they weighed. The best bet would be to have two subs, all electronics in a box (like said above) to make it easily swapable and each sub have it's own tail light/signals seats etc. If it's done correctly you could swap it out in 15 minutes. It's a lot more work but you won't have to worry about your passenger falling off.

That is pretty much what I came up with a little while ago when I was lokking at doing that.
The only thing attached to the subframe of my bike is the CDI box. Which would be easy to place somewhere else.
Then I would just have to complete subrame/seat/lights assembly, and just swap them out, by unbolting/bolting them to the frame(2 on each side). Using a 6 pin connector for tail/signal lights.

But this kind of mod is best done with some time. Early spring is definetly not the time for a project of this magnitude.:knucks:

·
Life's Short, Stunt it!
737 Posts
or you could build two tailsections with the same mounting points on your one subframe... that way you would only have to switch the tailsections and make a quick disconnect for your tail lights.
thats what im doin anyways.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts