Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been running a vapor on my bike for the past few months.. battery died on me last week.. so the thing has just been going bonkers on me..

today the temp light came on and wouldn't turn off.. but only the red one and the temp readout is working fine..

changed the battery out, look through the settings and the danger temp is defaulting to 535F and the light is still on.. can't get it to turn off with the key on.. tried resetting it, unplugging the wires etc.

anyone run into this issue?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'd suggest checking the wires/connectors to the temp sensor, but if the numerical readout is working fine that seems OK. If the displayed temp is under the danger setting and the hot light is still lighting, sounds like a defect with the unit.

If you purchased it fairly recently might be worth contacting Trail Tech so see if they will do anything for you under warranty.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
^^^ This.

Also, contact Trailtech's tech support. Those guys don't play. I saw a thread on Advrider where some guys were having some issues with some of their units. The guys from Trailtech registered and started answering questions left and right.

Good stuff made in America by people who try to help. Had one on every bike so far :)

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
Since you got your stuff figured mind if I borrow the thread a lil?

So I'm having some issues with my Vapor as well. First off is I cannot get the thermistor to react. The thing is the sensor unit is off a Koso gauge so it might just be that the resistance is wrong. Anyone know what the trail tech temp sensor resistance range is?

Another problem is that I can't get the rev clock to react. I haven't done the coil wire wrap thing cause my bike has stick coils and I'm told that the data acquired in that fashion is noisy as hell anyway so I'm trying to get the tach working from the original wire that should give out the rev signal, obviously with no success... any ideas?

The wake up works fine as do the speedo, I snagged the sender unit from the Sigma bicycle gauge I had in there temporarily as the original speed sender seems dead after the koso gauge I had prior shorted.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
Mattson, on TrailTech's site they have a few pages of replacement parts. If you look up the sensor that would the the equivalent of your thermistor ( idk if this is for water, oil, etc) it should have the ohm range listed in the product description.

And personally, I just gave up on TrailTech tachs. When I saw a thread on AdventureRider where TrailTech admitted the tachs won't always work, well, fuck it.

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
Sorry forgot to tell, coolant. I am getting a signal with the koso thermistor but the ohm range is clearly wrong as in ambient 20c the gauge shows 78c, I tried heating the block that the sensor is located, with a heat gun and got well over 100c with the adapter block still being cool enough to touch. Gonna try the coil wrap thing a bit later, wanna ride to work tomorrow and it's getting late so gonna call it a day... so there are known issues with these? Go figure, as mentioned earlier I had a Koso RX2 prior to this, basically bought the most expensive gauge I could get to avoid problems, had nothing but issues with that one...

I'm slowly leaning towards digging the original gauge up and giving it an overhaul with new glasses and backplates (aren't there some companies that make custom gauge faces?)

Also leaning towards sticking with old skool carbed bikes, I mean I'm an electrician by training and there's still way too much fuckerage involved with the overly complicated electrics with these EFI bikes...

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
If you Google "TrailTech tach signal" , out or anything along those lines, you'll find pages and pages on it. I've considered dropping big money on a Koso as well, but I've decided that mechanical tachs are the way to go, for me. There may be solid solutions out there for these electronic tachs, but I haven't seen them yet.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since you got your stuff figured mind if I borrow the thread a lil?

So I'm having some issues with my Vapor as well. First off is I cannot get the thermistor to react. The thing is the sensor unit is off a Koso gauge so it might just be that the resistance is wrong. Anyone know what the trail tech temp sensor resistance range is?

Another problem is that I can't get the rev clock to react. I haven't done the coil wire wrap thing cause my bike has stick coils and I'm told that the data acquired in that fashion is noisy as hell anyway so I'm trying to get the tach working from the original wire that should give out the rev signal, obviously with no success... any ideas?

The wake up works fine as do the speedo, I snagged the sender unit from the Sigma bicycle gauge I had in there temporarily as the original speed sender seems dead after the koso gauge I had prior shorted.
yeah I have my rev pick up wrapped around the coil.. works fine.

as for the temperature.. can't help you I know mine works perfect now after the reset, so I'm sure there's an resistance difference between both senders.

·
Super Moderator
5,660 Posts
Oh and forgot to mention, the ambient temperature gauge reading is off by at least 5 celsius. Haven`t had a reason to pull the tank yet and every time I do I manage to scratch the paintwork so testing the coil wrapping will have to wait...

·
Lazy bastard
1,116 Posts
Oh and forgot to mention, the ambient temperature gauge reading is off by at least 5 celsius.
Mine is the same. Pretty useless feature, but what can you do...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts