Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im having some weird problems. the bike ran perfect when I got it, and all I did was streetfighter it. bellypan, tailpiece, front fender, mask, and paint. first, my speedo and tach stopped working. so I figured out that my speed sensor was broken in half. so I ordered a new one but its not here yet. but the thing is... the sensor is broken completely in half, and it will NOT throw a code. you put it in dealer mode and you get C00. about a month after my gauges quit working, my FI light comes on. Still no codes. But, the bike doesn't run right. It runs great when its cold, but after you run it about 10min, shut it off, and take it for another ride.. runs like crap. cuts out after 1/2 throttle. between 3/4 - full throttle there is nothing. no power at all. and like I said, FI light is on. but NO CODE!! I don't get it!! what the hell is going on with this thing?? I got it to throw code C28 once, which is the stva, but I haven't been able to get it to throw any code for weeks. but its still running like crap. what do I do???

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so I got the tool I needed to adjust my TPS. now just another fkn problem. I loosened both bolts, and you are supposed to turn the TPS up or down, and the line on the dash is supposed to go up or down, and you are supposed to tighten it back down when the line is in the middle. Well, the line WILL NOT MOVE. at all. so now I broke my TPS trying to adjust it. but the line on the dash will not move at all. what in the hell. so after my TPS was off, theres like a little screw behind it, and if you turn it, it revs the bike up. I had the bike running and put the TPS back on, and the bike shut off. and now it will only run with the choke fully on. somebody please help me!!!! and I even put a new speed sensor in it and the gauges STILL wont fkng work!!! AHHHHHHHHH

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got a new TPS. error code C14 went away. now I just have error code C28, so im getting an STVA simulator and just getting rid of it all together. now my only problem besides that is my gauges aren't working and every speed sensor I put in it gets chewed the f up

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Sounds like you're having a hell of time fixing it. Idk shit but good luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea and the thing that's buggin me is it was perfect before I fightered it. seems like fightering it caused a bunch of problems and its taking me forever to fix. why the hell would all my speed sensors be getting chewed up and no tach or speedo?

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
fightering it didnt cause any of the problems. something must have been overlooked. if you are chewing up speedo sensors then it seems like that little castle washer is sticking out too far or something is hitting it. have you actually looked to see what is going on in there? that wouldnt cause your tach to stop working though. if nothing else in the cluster is working then it looks like you have a problem with your wiring or with your cluster itself. but that is less important right now than your bike running like shit. the FI light does a lot more than tell you codes. it also tells you when your oil pressure is low. have you checked your oil lately?

there has been an stva problem on a few generation gsxrs so i wouldnt be surprised if that was it. but there has also been an iac valve problem too. how does it idle? are there any vacuum leaks? did you mess around with the wiring at all? is there a power commander on it? have you tried taking it off and running it? have you checked to see if your fuel tank is venting properly?

Reactions: MikeGyver

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actually now that you mention the idle... when I had the dealer plug jumped to get the codes, I set the TPS to proper position, pulled the jumper wire out and it idled up real high. put the jumper wire back in, and it would go down. no I didn't do anything to my wiring. no power commander. all stock besides the exhaust. I have the stva simulator on the way so after that I just have to figure out why the tach and speedo isn't working. everything else on the gauges are working, that's what I don't understand. where is the RPMs measured? I was thinking the speed sensor controlled RPMs and speed. damn, now im really confused. only code its throwing is the stva.

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
speedo pickup couldnt read engine speed. your tach would read 0 in neutral and wouldnt change depending on what gear you were in. check the connector on the back of the gauge cluster, the main one that connects the front harness to the main harness, and any other connections you can. take them apart and look inside. clean any corrosion. see if that gets you anywhere.

·
Registered
740 Posts
RPM is calculated from the crank sensor on EFI bikes. If the crank sensor is faulty, the bike just won't start at all, though they rarely ever go bad. They're easy to test with just an ohmmeter, there's a spec in the service manual.

You must have unplugged some connectors during the fighter-ing that developed a problem. Sometimes a pin gets bent when you shove them back together. Pull everything you might have touched apart and carefully inspect the connectors/pins.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so I put the stva simulator on and it runs GREAT! im so happy with it. BUT... my gauges still wont work. I don't get it. when you turn the key on, the tach needle goes to the top of the rpms and back down, like it should. so I know the needle can move. the FI light works, the gas light, turn signals, neutral, high beam.. that all works like it should. speed and RPMs stay at 0, and the mileage doesn't show up. also the temp shows up but its stuck in celcius and the mph is stuck in KPH. you can set the time, but nothing else. what the hell is going on with this thing?? I checked every wire on it. all connections are clean and perfect. no corrosion, no broken wires, no FI codes.. I don't get it..

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
see if you can try a different set of gauges. the only reasons it wouldnt work are
1. it isnt getting signal
B. the gauge cluster has something broken inside.
III. the pickups and sensors for it arnt working

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how can I check my pickups? where are they and how do I see if they are good? its weird because it slowly stopped working. like it would work 1 day and not the next.. then finally just quit working all together.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
does the main cluster connector look good inside? no corrosion or bent pins? is your battery good? id check every connector you disconnected, especially those under fairings, and make sure something didnt ground out or burn up.

·
escape from prison planet
2,296 Posts
do you ever have to jumpstart the bike? does your bike have a large black/white tracer wire for ground?

·
Bitches love Fighters
5,325 Posts
looks like youre going to have to get out a multimeter or something and check for broken wires. or try a different cluster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts