Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about installing some headed grips on my Ninja. Only thing is right now I only have $50. There is a set on Amazon that looks decent but I am a little worried about them crapping out on me. Anyone have any suggestions for decent grips that are cheap?

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
I don't know what kind of quality they are, but you probably won't find them any cheaper than that. You can get some good heated glove liners for about the same price. Maybe a little more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! After reading that I think I am going to get them. Only question is why did he wire it into switched power like that? From what I can tell it has different positions. Do you think he just did it so he doesn't forget them on and drain his battery?

Reactions: shotgun

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
They look like a real good deal. Be careful with them. I know people that have heated grips and 190 degrees is HOT. You figure most car thermostats open at between 180 and 190.

Reactions: Jackstand Johnny

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well hopefully it is not very hard to wire it into switched power, I don't really want to to much electrical.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh and shotgun- What do you mean by be careful 190 degrees is hot? What do I need to be careful of?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Some heated grips can get very hot, to the point you couldn't hold them w/o gloves on. They kind of have to to penetrate layers of glove insulation and wind. Some have multiple heat settings, some are just on/off.

·
Sick of being frozen
1,086 Posts
I'm running these grips on 2 bikes, work well, have never ridden without gloves.
chilly nights these are a life saver.
(mine are bikemaster exactly as that pic. (I opened mine, Koso insides)
I wired mine in with a switched hot relay feeding straight to the battery= can't leave em on by accident, still can pull straight off the battery.
On the z1000 I mounted the switch dead middle of the handlebar, it fit well and hid an ugly pinch weld on the bars.
On the RC51 I ditched the clamp part and hid the switch on the intake portion at the front of the frame.
If you want to see some pics or something let me know.

·
Is my bike ok?
15,025 Posts
They kind of have to to penetrate layers of glove insulation and wind. .
I've always wondered about this. Are heated grips the way to go,or would you be better of with heated gloves?

Are heated grips more of a moderately cool weather thing whereas heated gloves are for more extreme temps? I dunno,just wondering. But kinda seems like heated grips at 70 mph in 0-20* F temps would just lose all their heat in the wind.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ill be the first to say that I didn't like heated grips that came on my sv650. The palms of my hands were toasty, but the tops were cold. I actually took them off and will be getting heated gloves in the future

Reactions: shinyribs

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
My little bro had them on his Sporty and believe it or not,it made a huge difference when I rode it. They also have the inserts that go INTO the bars instead of on top and around the bar portion. May get a better hear out of that, I'm not sure, but they are made more for Harley type bikes I assume. You'd be surprised how heated your gloves AND your hands get when using heated grips.

·
890 Posts
Friend of mine just came back from a 4K mile round trip through all sorts of rain, sleet, snow and couldn't speak highly enough of his new BMW Pro Winter gloves.

He's tried all sorts of stuff over the years (heated grips, hand shields, etc), but he is now SOLD on these gloves.

Not the cheapest gloves out there, but well worth the money according to him (and he's a scrooge).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Twr3cks- I wish I would have seen this sooner. I ordered the grips, and they should be here today. :( Oh well hopefully they work well on my bike and will be easy to put on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts