Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Headlight high/low beam wiring - NEED HELP!

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  DrJellyFingers 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to wire up my dominator headlights... correctly this time.

Based on my wiring diagram, I've got 3 wires coming in:

Red/yellow - connected to "low" on handlebar dimmer switch
Red/black - connected to "high" on handlebar dimmer switch
Ground

I've also got 3 wires coming out of the headlight

Yellow - low H4 beam
White - high H4 beam
Black - ground

Problem is, I can't get the dimmer switch to dim between the two... Neither the red/yellow or the red/black show 12V at any position of the dimmer switch.

I just looked again at my original wiring, and I don't even have the right wire hooked up ATM. I've got a brown wire that originally showed 12V no matter the position of the dimmer switch, and then another wire that showed 12V when "high" was selected.

If anybody could lead me in the right direction, that'd would be awesome. I'm stuck at this point. If you need pictures or whatnot, please don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT: Just went out and made sure I'm looking at the right wires, etc. Checked the voltages again to make sure... Neither the red/yellow or the red/black give me +12V no matter what. I've checked the fuse, etc, and nothing. I'm afraid I may be stuck with highs only no matter what. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the low beam comes on with the key(constant power) with a switched high beam.(the other wire you were talking about) I would hook them up like that. Or if you want to run with the low beams off you will need to add a switch. Is it a Canadian bike? I think Canadian bikes have to run with low beams off of the key

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.