Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so long time with little progress. Anyways, i have a 1988 zx600 Ninja. Bike is close to being done, just cant figure out headlight issues. I am trying to put on a KTM enduro headlight. I have ground wires, high and low all marked and labeled on both headlight and on the bike. Have correct voltage at wire ends, but light wont turn on. It works at the battery, but somehow not at the wires at the front of the bike.
:doh:

If i dont figure it out soon, im thinking just running wires straight to the battery and hooking up a small switch somewhere

·
Hack in a barn
4,409 Posts
I had a similar problem when wiring up a KTM headlight on my R6, it turned out the fuse was the wrong ampere and the wires in the fuse block were corroded and needed to be cleaned. I had 12v at the wire ends but the light wouldn't come on no matter what good bulb I used...

Check that fuse block out...

·
Registered
152 Posts
if the fuse turns out not to be the problem and you can get away with it cleanly, i would probably just run new wires. much less headache than trying to track a short down beyond the common areas. of course you are talking to the guy who arced his solenoid off for three months because he forgot to plug the clutch switch in so take that advice with a grain of salt. :doh:

·
Administrator
50,498 Posts
Ok, so long time with little progress. Anyways, i have a 1988 zx600 Ninja. Bike is close to being done, just cant figure out headlight issues. I am trying to put on a KTM enduro headlight. I have ground wires, high and low all marked and labeled on both headlight and on the bike. Have correct voltage at wire ends, but light wont turn on. It works at the battery, but somehow not at the wires at the front of the bike.
:doh:

If i dont figure it out soon, im thinking just running wires straight to the battery and hooking up a small switch somewhere
was tha OEM light workin before ya took it of?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Voltage and current aren't the same thing. There can be 14v on a multimeter (which requires virtually zero amperage to read), but when an actual load is connected I'm sure it goes down to nothing. There's a poor connection, as said fuse block is common, but on older bikes it's certainly not rare to find corroded scotch-locks, crimps, and all sorts of bs wiring from previous owners.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The OEM light worked just fine, but im goin for a different look so i switched it. Cleaning the fuses didnt work, so im just running wires with a switch to the battery, thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts