Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went for a 145 mile ride yesterday, and it was a cold day. I dress for the weather so it really didn't bother me. The wife bought a heated coat liner. It retailed for $300 but she is real tiny so it was something that they weren't selling so they gave it to her for 1/2 price. I wired it in and this thing is the whip! Now she wants chap and glove liners. I think you could ride in zero degree weather equipped like this and be real comfortable.

Now, I want to set myself up with full heated gear. My bike has a 50 amp charging system so it will handle the extra load without any problem. Jacqueline's bike only has a 38 amp system so I think full gear will just about max it out. I checked on an upgrade to 50 amps for her bike it's $400...:wtf:... Oh well, have to keep the wife happy..:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dont forget the heated handlebar grips and seats too! It's awesome the technology we got but the price is quite the opposite. How long do they last? It'd sure suck to have your heated jacked go out on you during some 20-30 Fahrenheit weather when you're out in the rough

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
ive been kickin it around too
a good friend let me borrow his heated gloves for a month. boy was i spoiled when i get 300 im gettin the gloves and vest
best brand is gerbinz

Reactions: shotgun

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dont forget the heated handlebar grips and seats too! It's awesome the technology we got but the price is quite the opposite. How long do they last? It'd sure suck to have your heated jacked go out on you during some 20-30 Fahrenheit weather when you're out in the rough
I don't see them wearing out anytime soon. I think her jacket liner has a 2 year warrenty.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It's probably a 50 amp total system, and the general rule of thumb with that is you don't want to exceed 80% capacity for steady loads. Constantly maxing out the stator and rectifier will cause them to die prematurely, and most bikes do not give you any warnings about this until it just quits and you're stuck on the side of the road because you ran out of electricity.

As you found you can sometimes get high output stators for bikes but they're not cheap. Your best bet would be to look for any touring bikes made with the same/similar engine...they probably came with a bigger stator and will swap right over. This was a popular mod for Vmax owners, a rebuilt Venture stator would drop right in and almost double the capacity.

Installing a small LED voltmeter would probably be a smart move, I put one on all my bikes anyway...as said there's no idiot light for low voltage on most bikes.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
im goin the li po battery route i think. my commute is only 28 miles one way.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably a 50 amp total system, and the general rule of thumb with that is you don't want to exceed 80% capacity for steady loads. Constantly maxing out the stator and rectifier will cause them to die prematurely, and most bikes do not give you any warnings about this until it just quits and you're stuck on the side of the road because you ran out of electricity.

As you found you can sometimes get high output stators for bikes but they're not cheap. Your best bet would be to look for any touring bikes made with the same/similar engine...they probably came with a bigger stator and will swap right over. This was a popular mod for Vmax owners, a rebuilt Venture stator would drop right in and almost double the capacity.

Installing a small LED voltmeter would probably be a smart move, I put one on all my bikes anyway...as said there's no idiot light for low voltage on most bikes.
I'm going to do what I can to reduce the pull on the stator. I've already swapped out the headlight on the wife's bike for a LED which is looking into the sun bright and pulls less than a 1/3rd of the juice. I'm going to swap out the turn signals and tail light for LED's too. With everything lit it will take less juice than the old halogen headlight on dims alone.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Full gear, jacket liner, leg liner, and glove liner, your looking at between 11 and 12 amp pull. Swapping out all the lighting to LED's you will save over half that. Her 38 amp system shouldn't even know you have the gear plugged in. For sure a 50 amp system will handle it with no problem without even changing the lighting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts