Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone, awesome site, crazy builds and awesome bikes! I just picked up my first bike, itll be my first 2 wheeled build and is just meant for fun...may not be the ideal bike suitable for certain builds ive read on this site but i have my own morph of a build in mind with some slights mods to give the bike some meaner character...shes an '85 Kawasaki 454 thats been lacking some love...

i have some plans that have been questioned on other sites but hopefully with some research and a lil trial and error it will take shape!
different at times is good in my book!

:robssmilie:

·
Kindasucky
30 Posts
cool lookin bike man, should end up being unique if nothing else. what are your controversial plans for it?

i'm new also and just starting my own first kawi build. mine's a 99 ninja 600

-sean

Reactions: oldrider

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well ive come to realize this bikes platform is not the most desirable for a true cafe build do to the angle of the top tube, not really wanting to reinvent the wheel 100% so ill leave that alone i think, but still try and make it hit an aggressive stance when done.

Ive been searching high and low of the possibility to swap out an ex500 front fork set up with dual brakes plus i heard it could lower the front some as well, win win i thought but have also seen the concerns that it could drastically effect the way the bike handles. Im not into building somthing i cant enjoy so if thats true might look towards another front end to swap. I do wish to lower the whole bike some and level it out. Did read that the en500 rear swing arm and belt not only stretch the rear 3" it could also lower the rear with addition to adding shorter shocks, so i think the combination of the two mentioned swaps could actually compliment one another as far as some geometry correction, this is where some trial and error might have to come into play unless i found someone with actual experience of what work or not and why ya know.

over all besides giving her some character i just want to enjoy it and have some fun, it is my first bike after all...

thanks for the reply, those pics are after a small tear down for inspection. the entire coolant system was trashed so thats first, figured i could play with the bike much with coolant pissing out from cracked up hoses lol...one step at a time i guess!

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
well ive come to realize this bikes platform is not the most desirable for a true cafe build do to the angle of the top tube, not really wanting to reinvent the wheel 100% so ill leave that alone i think, but still try and make it hit an aggressive stance when done.

Ive been searching high and low of the possibility to swap out an ex500 front fork set up with dual brakes plus i heard it could lower the front some as well, win win i thought but have also seen the concerns that it could drastically effect the way the bike handles. Im not into building somthing i cant enjoy so if thats true might look towards another front end to swap. I do wish to lower the whole bike some and level it out. Did read that the en500 rear swing arm and belt not only stretch the rear 3" it could also lower the rear with addition to adding shorter shocks, so i think the combination of the two mentioned swaps could actually compliment one another as far as some geometry correction, this is where some trial and error might have to come into play unless i found someone with actual experience of what work or not and why ya know.

over all besides giving her some character i just want to enjoy it and have some fun, it is my first bike after all...

thanks for the reply, those pics are after a small tear down for inspection. the entire coolant system was trashed so thats first, figured i could play with the bike much with coolant pissing out from cracked up hoses lol...one step at a time i guess!
You wont get no guff from us on swapping out forks, swingers etc etc. Id say 80% of the bikes on this forum dont have their original forks lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt so called get slammed and compaining so to say, just received some advice of caution do to changing the geometry for safety reasons which i respect however i just felt like my ideas in my head were blowin off perhaps do to lack of experience with what i was trying to accomplish in seeking some advise from a few whom have done this before, obviously im not the first to try n mix sh!t up a bit for a different look and stance...its gonna be where ever i take this build tho thats for sure...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice bike!!!

I new a guy that bought one of them new and drove the piss out of it for three years.

I owned its older brother the Eliminator 900 in the late 80s. I hated that shaft drive!!!
It would squat down in the rear under high RPM shifting...

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
Welcome to CF mrcrowley13! We embrace different & unique ideas & bikes around here. Since it's a Kawi, there IS no wrong way to do something. (I'm just a bit predjudiced) ;) Repped you for the cool intro with pics! Start yourself a build thread, so we can watch the progress as you proceed? We like to watch......:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i need to post a build thread and continuing putting everything there, what "catagory" you think? members builds? sorry if that was a dumb question lol

·
Premium Member
20,726 Posts
"Member Project Bikes" should do it. Nothing dumb here. Questions are welcome around this forum....;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts