Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. I'm an American currently living and working in India. I wound up here doing research on the feasibility of creating a streetfighter to ride here, since most of the riding is short-distance in heavy and mostly insane traffic. The roads aren't great here, either. There is only a limited variety of "big" bikes available here, and I have been weighing the benefits of each. I had originally planned to bring an older CBR900RR over from the states, figuring that the carbureted engine and simple electricals would be easier to service, but the total cost wound up being close to the price of a new CBR1000RR.

So I decided to buy here, even though it is even more expensive; at least I don't have to deal with pollution regulations or customs hassles. However, Hondas here are stupid expensive, with the CBR1000RR being close to $40k. Suzuki and Yamaha aren't much better. I had originally planned on an R1, but the cost was high and they aren't available where I am. The only big sportbike where I am is the Hayabusa, and I am having second thoughts on riding a beast like that here, where low-sides are highly likely. That has led me to look into streetfighters, as they are more resilient. The Bandit 1250 is available here, though only in the S model with the half-fairing.

And that leads me to why I signed up: I figured that this was probably the best place to find out what kind of nightmare I'm going to go through to turn the water-cooled 1250S into a streetfighter. So far, my main questions revolve around the "subframe" (though it isn't detachable on the Bandit), and the exhaust. Does anyone have any experience with this bike?

·
******* Dumbass
5,796 Posts
No experience with the Bandit, but I've been on Indian roads. 40K for a 1KRR is insane. No wonder Kia is a luxury model there. You sure you wouldn't be better of building a Tata fighter?

And welcome in.

·
ShamanFighter
22,340 Posts
welcome in and the B1250 is Rather nice

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, all. I appreciate the thoughts.
Oh, and "insane traffic" here means "lanes? what lanes?", "traffic signal? what traffic signal?", and "I must be the only one on the road, so I'll drive on whatever side I like, and never check my mirrors".

I'm going to need ideas on industrial-strength horns. It needs to be loud, distinctive, and must be able to survive heavy use.

·
Rable Rable Rable
8,319 Posts
Dirty/bad roads and heavy traffic sound ideal for a motard or a dual-sport. Bandits are heavyweight bikes, but (of course) very high quality bikes.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Ruff: You'd think dual-sports would be hot sellers here, but there are absolutely zero models available, from any manufacturer. Not even the "exotic" bike importers stock them. I was toying with the idea of mounting some big-dualie semi-street tires to that Bandit for a heavy cross-over bike. I went to the dealer today, and they are going to see if they can get a regular Bandit model in, instead of the Bandit S.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, Re: fightering an Enfield. Enfield seems to be doing the retro thing over here, for the most part. They're trying to recapture the old post-war look and feel, so they have long, low frames, teardrop tanks, and almost no suspension. I could do one, but I'd basically be building from the ground up, and I want to be on the road quicker than than. I might do one as a second project later though, just to see if it could be done.

·
Rable Rable Rable
8,319 Posts
@Ruff: You'd think dual-sports would be hot sellers here, but there are absolutely zero models available, from any manufacturer.
That's surprising, I've been to a few developing countries where the 100-250cc dual-sports are king of the road. I think we've found a market niche for you to exploit :D

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's surprising, I've been to a few developing countries where the 100-250cc dual-sports are king of the road. I think we've found a market niche for you to exploit :D
That thought has crossed my mind more than once. The big problem is that the vast majority of bikes are built locally by licensed franchises from the manufacturer (i.e. there's a factory here in India), and they all just build small (sub-250cc) standards. There are five big makers: Hero Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, TVS, and Bajaj (which sometimes licenses Kawasaki; I think they're building the 250 Ninja for this market). They are only now starting to build "performance" bikes. The most popular "performance" bike is something by Yamaha India which comes in 3 varieties: the FZ, Fazer, and R15. All use the same 150cc 17hp engine, just with different levels of plastic on the bike. It's one of the most powerful indigenous bikes out there, and tops out at a top speed probably around 70mph WFO. Importing bikes is almost prohibitively costly; the customs duty is 100% of the retail cost. So, I'd have to try to talk the local manufacturers into retooling for a DP bike in order to make it affordable for the buyers who would want such a thing.

And 100-250s are the kings of the road here too, and that's one of the things that made me wonder. The TW200 is practically purpose-designed for this country, at least outside the big cities.

·
Fast ZX-12R
17,522 Posts
Welcome.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.