Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cbr 900 -97
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a place today that andoizing things and im going to do that to my forks and yokos and a couple of things more.. but he asked me if som of the alloy was molded? think thats the word. and i said that my upper triple yoko is custom made so that one is not molded but the under yoko is from factory and i think thoose are molded:/ Anyway he said if the alloy is molded it´s never gonna be good with the anodizing.. So my question is what to do with that one?
I have hard to belive that a painter can find the right color to match the anodized color :/ And i cant afford to have a custom made under yoko to:/

·
Forearm of Steel
2,581 Posts
Possible that "molded" = "cast", which has impurities that do not oxidize alongside the aluminium... Powdercoating would probably be a better option.

·
sickboy
3,544 Posts
Your anodizer sounds a little lazy to me. You can very easily powdercoat cast parts, you just have to do it right. When parts are first cast they precipitates out some silicon to the surface. This is the darker/lighter swirling you may sometime see in cast parts. Problem is that You CAN NOT anodize silicon, this is why he doesnt want to anodize your parts. BUT this is only a problem with the silicon that precipitated to the top of the part, if you use some carbide bits and varying grits and just polish your cast parts they should anodize just fine.

·
Cbr 900 -97
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks:) i tought they only have boring colors in powder coat.. but i found it when i google it now..

·
clean fight
1,555 Posts
How about matching your tank or fender color for the powder coat on the lower?
It could be annodised but I think maybe he meant it couldn't make a good color match.
Different alloys anodize differently and it would be very unpredictable.

·
Elbow Grease is Cheap
6,370 Posts
ok so pick a contrasting color like...... a black chromeish color or something anyways there are powder coats out there that do have that kinda anodized or candy over chrome kinda look to it
Yes, there are shiny powdercoat colors that mimic anodizing.

It is difficult to see the shine in the pics, but the forks and frame on this bike are powdercoated, but looks very similar to anodizing.(I've seen it in person)

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27479&page=18

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
I anodized a bunch of cast aluminum pieces for my bikes.

Some look good and some don't. I pretty much gave up on anodizing cast parts for powder coating.

The powders that match anodizing are a 2-step process. Shiny aluminum powder with clear gold (or whatever color) on top. I wouldn't try it on a cast part because some cast aluminum anodizes flat, not glossy like billet - even after polishing.

·
Cbr 900 -97
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I anodized a bunch of cast aluminum pieces for my bikes.

Some look good and some don't. I pretty much gave up on anodizing cast parts for powder coating.

The powders that match anodizing are a 2-step process. Shiny aluminum powder with clear gold (or whatever color) on top. I wouldn't try it on a cast part because some cast aluminum anodizes flat, not glossy like billet - even after polishing.
What do you think about anodizing when it is Done by professionals? Would sot for a long time or does it start come of after à few years? Is powdercoat better? Im gonna do the frame and other parts in powder but wanted to do the forks and yokos in anodized because i was thinking it will how do you say it want come of that easy as a paint jobb..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
BLACK BELT
7,031 Posts
I think a good powdercoating job and a good anodizing job will both last for a long time.

Glossy powder lasts longer than flat or textured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts